Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

What size are the wheel nuts on a 410 please ?

Old 30-12-21, 11:36 AM

Default What size are the wheel nuts on a 410 please ?

Hi, I am thinking of fitting Jaguar 15" lattice alloy wheels to my 410 and preserving the original steel wheels and hub caps. I know that the PCD is the same. Can anyone please tell me the wheel nut size and thread. Am I right in assuming that I can't use the nuts from the steel wheels. If so, where can I obtain the correct nuts in the U.K.
Thanks
Old 30-12-21, 01:05 PM

I may be able to help. Some 5 years ago I acquired a set of avon wheels off a 412 without wheel nuts. The cost of buying a set from the factory was very high so I made my own by sourcing a set of wheel nuts which I modified to suit the 412 wheels and my 411 wheel studs. To give you further advice I need to know the dimensions of the jaguar nuts and from that it shouldnt be too hard to work out what you need. The thread on a 411 and 412 is BSF and thus doubt you will find anything off the shelf unless the factory alloy nuts fit.
Old 30-12-21, 07:03 PM

My 603 is fitted with Jaguar Kent Alloy wheels, these must have had a smaller diameter stud than the Bristol as I remember the previous owner telling me they drilled and re tapped the existing Jaguar nuts, the chrome is a bit tatty on them now so I was going to have a look to see if there is anything that will do the job on the Mister Tee website, link below.
Geoff.

https://www.mistertee.co.uk/
Old 30-12-21, 11:42 PM

Geoff that is basically what I did ,find a nut that fits the wheel with a slightly smaller diameter thread , bore it out and rethread in BSF. Sounds like the obvious choice could be the jag nuts.

My 412 came with kent wheels which I replaced with the avons and put the steel wheels back on my 411. I cant remember what nuts they used. I guess they are lying around some where in my shed.
Old 31-12-21, 12:18 AM

Peter, something in the back of my mind is telling me that the thread on the studs on Bristol hubs is the same as the Land Rover, certainly up to series 3 but if it goes into the later variants as well fitted with alloy wheels there might be some options available from that source as well. I have a 1993 Range Rover LSE the restoration of which is turning me into a poor man but I bought a set of stainless steel wheel nuts for it some years back and the company are still in business, they do some classic cars nuts as well but nothing listed with BSF threads so I will give them a ring in the new year to see if they may be able to help. I am keeping my fingers crossed at the moment as my painter has 'lost' five of the nuts but his workshop is more disorganised than mine so I hope he finds them as they are £12 each plus vat, if he can't he can pay!
Geoff.
Old 31-12-21, 11:14 AM

Default OakHouse411

Thank you both for the info.
I have just miked up the studs on the Bristol and they come out at 14.1mm or 0.555 inches which is about 9/16" in old money. The Jaguar studs are 1/2" 20UNF. Is there sufficient metal on a Jaguar wheel nut to accomodate retapping it for the Bristol?
Kind regards
Old 31-12-21, 11:24 AM

I can't speak for the 410, but the 411/412 are 9/16 BSF.
Old 31-12-21, 05:28 PM

A friend of mine recently donated a better set of Kent alloys for my 603, they were spares off his XJ12 series 3, same as used on the XJS, when he had looked at the car previously he confirmed that it also had jaguar wheel nuts so what the previous owners of my 603 said was correct they had been re tapped to fit the Bristol studs, I have had the car now for 10 years and it has been in use for the last 9 years with no problem at all from the wheel nuts except the chrome finish is not as smart as it was.
I have seen Jaguar Lattice wheels on a few 411's but they would have been the early XJS/XJ12 type not the later XJ40 which I think have a different PCD and have also seen Woolfrace wheels on both a 409 and a 410.
The Jaguar wheel will be wider than the 410 wheel, not sure about the offset but it would be worth checking clearance on the wheel arch and suspension on full lock which limits the width of tyres that can be used on a 603, mine is fitted with 205VR15 Blockleys with a 70% aspect ratio and I have had no problems.
Geoff.
Old 31-12-21, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHouse411 View Post
Am I right in assuming that I can't use the nuts from the steel wheels.
Certainly that was the case with the 411/412. If the alloy Avon wheels were fitted they required a sleeved wheel nut with a tapered washer. In addition to getting the correct thread, I suppose you also need to pay attention to the OD of the sleeve.
Old 31-12-21, 07:38 PM

OakHouse, do you know whether the Jag wheels require a tapered washer or a flat washer?

If flat, these nuts may be okay, if the sleeve is too long you can easily cut it down; Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design