Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

New Owner - 1964 Bristol 408 CHASSIS - 408-1040

Old 22-07-21, 08:44 PM

Talking New Owner - 1964 Bristol 408 CHASSIS - 408-1040

Hello all !

Hope you are all keeping well and enjoying this amazing weather !

A few of you may remember me I recently bought 1973 411 S3 which is under going restoration.

Well this. evening i bought a very tidy example of the 408 post auction from the Bonhams MPH July Auction on the 17th Jul 2021.

From the catalogue ...

" This new front end design gave the car a much more imposing look which worked well with its powerful 250hp engine. Purchased by the vendor in 1987, this 1964 example offers a new owner the opportunity to purchase a rare Bristol project car. The car has already been partly restored, with the work including a full engine rebuild with +30" thou pistons and maintenance of the body which is overall solid. It's grey paintwork combined with the cream leather interior work very well together, but both will require attention. "

The car has been delivered to my uncle who is restoring my 411 in Stockbridge, as he has more storage than me, and whilst he has it he will be sorting out the things which need doing !

The previous owner has had it for 40 odd years ! and has everything hand written down in the huge folder file which accompanies the car !

I think i've caught the Bristol bug...
Attached Images
File Type: png downloadl.png (906.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png download5.png (935.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png download2.png (785.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png download4.png (916.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-07-21, 12:03 PM

I think you have more than just a bug!!
Good luck - is that a Caddy in the background of one of the pics - and is that your as well?
Andrew
Old 24-07-21, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
I think you have more than just a bug!!
Good luck - is that a Caddy in the background of one of the pics - and is that your as well?
Andrew
Hahaha classic !

And no that was thee previous owners house,

Ive got a (48HUC) 68 Bentley T1 - RR & Bentley magazine did a large article on it a year ago - https://porschecarshistory.com/wp-co...016%202020.pdf

73 RR Silver Shadow
73 Bristol 411S3
86 Porsche 944T
and many more in the family !
Old 25-07-21, 06:30 AM

Great article and I really like the T1 - I was humming and ha-ing about a T2 before I decided on a Bristol. And an excellent (and brave) colour choice.
I'm particularly envious of you having such a useful, helpful and presumably willing Uncle!
Graeme Payne - already mentioned on one of the other threads - has an excellent supply of parts and body panels as and when you get to that point - if you weren't aware already.
Good luck with it all
Andrew
Old 28-07-21, 07:24 PM

@AndrewA

Thanks so much for your kind comments, and indeed Masons Black is a hard one to pull off correctly !

Oh yes he's absolutely ace ! Extremely knowledgable about cars and turbo-machinery, he's always such a great help on all my projects and yes always willing to help out which is so good !

Yep - GP is very useful and handy to know if you own a Bristol like you say, i bought a set of 411 hubcaps off him last year !

Thank you Andy, Ill need all the luck i can get - but I cannot wait to get stuck in !

Stay safe & Keep well

HM

Tags
1964, 408, bonhams