Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

412 beaufighter

Old 14-01-21, 07:53 PM

Default 412 beaufighter oil change

Hello,
I've recently bought an '87 Beaufighter.
The car hasn't run for awhile and I was wanting to give it an oil change, including cleaning out the oil pan.
Unfortunately the car's stuck in a cramped, dark lock-up garage.
Looking underneath there doesn't seem to be a lot of space around to drop the oil-pan. Also are there any parts to remove i,e, torsion bar?
First I want to jack it up 6-9", so I can get a better look.
Is it advisable to use an area of the front cross-member to jack it?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by Oliver; 15-01-21 at 04:44 PM.
Old 16-01-21, 01:57 PM

Hi Oliver,
I own a 411 S5 but I believe the chassis is the same as the 412s.
If you jack it up under the front crossmember (presumably using a trolley jack) I would put a steel plate between the jack and the crossmember to spread the load and avoid damaging the crossmember.

Personally I would be inclined to use ramps instead. It would be safer and also provide better access.

Assuming the front suspension of the 411 is similar to the 412, if you leave the front of the car suspended for an extended period with the front wheels off the ground without any support (with the front springs fully extended), you will destroy the rubber bump stops - they are designed only to withstand momentary compression.

As for removing the sump pan with the engine in situ; I don't think it is possible on the 400 CID engine in the 412 S1, but your car presumably has a 360 engine. I don't know if that makes a difference. Unfortunately the likelyhood of another Beaufighter or S2 owner having tried to do it is quite slim. Once you get under the car I am sure it will be obvious whether it is possible or not. Regardless, you shouldn't have to touch the torsion bars.
Old 17-01-21, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the reply,
I managed to jack car up sufficient to get my head underneath. I used area where wishbone joins the crossmember, seemed strong enough.
I'm new to Bristol cars, so I'm working things out as I go. There's very little space to get your hands in anywhere.
I reckon I need to remove exhaust crossover pipe, and the the bar that goes right under centre of oil-pan. I think I'll shelve idea on cleaning out the oil-pan and settle on a basic oil change.
I was looking for the jacking points. I found 1/2" dowels sticking downwards. Are these what original jack would fit into?

Last edited by Oliver; 17-01-21 at 08:02 PM.
Old 18-01-21, 03:28 AM

Hi Oliver,
Yes they are the jacking points.
I was puzzled by your mention of the torsion bar in your earlier post. I just had a look under my 411 and I realised the bar you refer to is the sway bar (or anti-roll bar). That's not difficult to remove. The torison bars run longitudinally under the rear half of the car.

As an alternative to dropping the sump pan you could perhaps use a reputable oil flush additive and warm the engine before draining the old oil.