Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

411 - Rear End view!

Old 15-01-21, 09:51 PM

The original pipes for the 410 (and earlier) were two single pipes. But because of the larger engine on the Series 6, we needed two sets of twin pipes. Here’s a picture of the exhaust - the diameter is such that we needed twin pipes at the end
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AAF68DA0-11C7-4DA4-8BC9-C79B78A79064.jpeg (181.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpeg 13BD6966-682B-4451-8601-7BC909850B37.jpeg (163.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 17-01-21, 08:24 PM

That is a serious exhaust system!

George
Old 17-01-21, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
That is a serious exhaust system!

George
I was thinking the same!
Thanks to Zorglub for sharing. its a serious bit of kit, and whilst i am planning on an upgrade, this wasn't even on my "known" spectrum... time for a re-think!
Old 18-01-21, 03:49 AM

Came across this old post (re the Dennis Sevier lecture) while looking for something else exhuast related... 411 (Series 3-5) Exhaust Tailpipes
Old 02-02-21, 11:48 AM

In considering everything relating to the V8 cars it is as well to bear in mind Tony Crooks eccentricities which were coupled with a great deal of common sense and remarkable marketing skills. It is my understanding that he decided that a gentleman’s express really shouldn’t leave dirty black marks on the owners trousers if left idling while the boot is filled or emptied and introduced the downward facing exhaust trims on the 410 (or it might have been earlier) to alleviate the problem. Altogether a much easier solution than trying to clean up Chrysler’s dirty engine.

Artistic licence came into play on the 411 when it was decided that four exhaust ports would better look the part (the actual exhaust pipes running back from the engine are actually no larger than those on the 410) and, a touch of genius this, they could also be blanked off at the ends to further prevent anything at all getting on to the trousers whilst preventing wicked small boys from stuffing potatoes down them. Tony Crooks escapades suggest that he was very familiar with small boys minds. The actual discharge slots ahead of the blanking plates are of larger cross section than the main pipes back from the engine, so they hardly affect the discharge which is in any case already seriously handicapped by the crudity of the Chrysler manifold at the front end. On which point I can commend SL-J’s swept tubular manifolds which do markedly improve the breathing, at a price.

I too was impressed by the neatness of the 410s rear end on an occasion when the bumper was off, I thought it reminiscent of an AC Ace.
Old 02-02-21, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmulcaster View Post
Wow! Don’t they look amazing! I’m seriously admiring the paintwork. Our brief is to get the mechanicals first class and the car driving perfectly , only then we will see how much is left in the pot for a paint job.

Re the exhausts- were the quad pipes original on the 410 or is that a later enhancement?
They certainly look good and the overall look is very in keeping with the 60’s era.
Thankyou for sharing.
Just in case, these are the 411 exhausts
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1C7BD719-F781-4B24-A3FA-F45FF83948AA.jpeg (556.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg A8C08404-464D-46A7-A060-D6CF50020B87.jpeg (597.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-02-21, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorglub View Post
Just in case, these are the 411 exhausts
Thanks Zorglub, looks great. I have mine on order now, but know production won’t start for another 2 weeks- I’m sharing all these imagines with the company, so it’s all very useful.
Thanks again.
Old 02-02-21, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU186F View Post
In considering everything relating to the V8 cars it is as well to bear in mind Tony Crooks eccentricities which were coupled with a great deal of common sense and remarkable marketing skills. It is my understanding that he decided that a gentleman’s express really shouldn’t leave dirty black marks on the owners trousers if left idling while the boot is filled or emptied and introduced the downward facing exhaust trims on the 410 (or it might have been earlier) to alleviate the problem. Altogether a much easier solution than trying to clean up Chrysler’s dirty engine.

Artistic licence came into play on the 411 when it was decided that four exhaust ports would better look the part (the actual exhaust pipes running back from the engine are actually no larger than those on the 410) and, a touch of genius this, they could also be blanked off at the ends to further prevent anything at all getting on to the trousers whilst preventing wicked small boys from stuffing potatoes down them. Tony Crooks escapades suggest that he was very familiar with small boys minds. The actual discharge slots ahead of the blanking plates are of larger cross section than the main pipes back from the engine, so they hardly affect the discharge which is in any case already seriously handicapped by the crudity of the Chrysler manifold at the front end. On which point I can commend SL-J’s swept tubular manifolds which do markedly improve the breathing, at a price.

I too was impressed by the neatness of the 410s rear end on an occasion when the bumper was off, I thought it reminiscent of an AC Ace.
I absolutely love learning these little bits of history that just don’t seem to be officially recorded but give such an insight to the reasons why things are the way they are.
Thank you taking the time to write this.
Old 03-02-21, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalli View Post
This is it without back boxes and bumper
Rather like the look without bumper
Reminds me of Alfa gta
It looks okay without the bumper; it also looks very different, like a smaller car.

Just as well if anyone doesn't have a bumper, because they are probably impossible to buy now. Last time I asked at BCL (prob 20 years ago), they only had secondhand bumpers for sale, at about £900!
Old 03-02-21, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
It looks okay without the bumper; it also looks very different, like a smaller car.

Just as well if anyone doesn't have a bumper, because they are probably impossible to buy now. Last time I asked at BCL (prob 20 years ago), they only had secondhand bumpers for sale, at about £900!
There’s a company in Vietnam making stainless steel ones identical. I was quoted £1400 for a new one (single, not pair of) for my 411, probably better quality than original chrome. I recently saw a Gordon Keeble with one fitted and it looked really good. I could probably reference several imports to the UK from this company. And have the contact details.
I ended up choosing a company local to me to refurb my chrome, but that was £650 per bumper.