Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Self introduction: Bristol 408 7023

Old 12-12-20, 12:03 PM

Default Self introduction: Bristol 408 7023

I should probably introduce myself. As the new custodian of this 408, I expect to be asking a lot of questions.

I do not have the car in my possession yet as I need to make space in my garage! Very frustrating!

I had always admired Bristols - right back to the days of reading LJK Setright's writings in, I think Car magazine, in the 70s. There used to be a 411 parked on the street outside the flat I shared in London in 1977 that I would pass most mornings.

Over the last 10 years, I have occasionally looked at adverts of Bristols for sale but they were always either too pricey, too far away to inspect or looked in poor shape. Suddenly this one turned up only 90 minutes from my home. In short, the condition impressed me and driving it overcame my reluctance to have an RHD car here in the USA.

I know a little of the car's history. First registered in 1964, and blue, it was exported to the US in 1992 after restoration, in red, It had no engine. Here a Chrysler 360 was fitted. It was in Minnesota, then West Virginia and finally bought by the last owner and moved to Florida in 2009.

I look forward to getting to know the car and this group,

David Womby
Old 12-12-20, 03:03 PM

Welcome and good luck! I'm relatively new to Bristol ownership as well and thoroughly enjoying it in the main!
Cheers
Andrew
Old 12-12-20, 03:33 PM

Smile 408 7023

A very warm welcome to the Bristol Owners Club. Your 408 Mk1 is very much mechanically the same as my 407 except for the engine change which according to BOC records may be a 360cu inch 949.23331c. It has had two registration numbers in the UK, the first being 708 JBJ and after that AUE 928B.
It was Maroon with a grey hide interior.

I have owned my 1962 407 since 1999 which has a period 3 speed auto cast iron gearbox operated by round buttons on the RH of the steering wheel.

I do have an almost new handbook and spares manual for the car and a workshop manual. Apart from the shortened front end the 407 and 408 are very similar in many ways. The Mk 2 408 started at chassis number 7201
and may be only 14 cars in number.
The 408 CL 1 , your car numbered 58 in number that the club is aware of.

Obviously with a Chrysler engine and gear box your car has a huge supply of parts in the USA.

The rest of spares are not too difficult to find in the UK and the Bristol Owners Club, having access to the spare parts that Bristol Cars had in stock when the company finally ran out of money in February this year. It will be quite a time before they are catalogued and available but this forum will help.

Good luck and happy motoring.
Old 12-12-20, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
Welcome and good luck! I'm relatively new to Bristol ownership as well and thoroughly enjoying it in the main!
Cheers
Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. I note the 'in the main' part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
A very warm welcome to the Bristol Owners Club. Your 408 Mk1 is very much mechanically the same as my 407 except for the engine change which according to BOC records may be a 360cu inch 949.23331c. It has had two registration numbers in the UK, the first being 708 JBJ and after that AUE 928B.
It was Maroon with a grey hide interior.
Thanks, Nick. Given the similarity of the 407 and 408 mechanically, I expect to ask a lot! I will check the engine number when I get the car here. I do have quite a file of old invoices and paperwork for the car. I am pretty sure the AUE 928B is the original registration and the DVLA shows that number for a blue 408 that has been exported. Could the 708 JBJ may be one of its US registrations - possibly Minnesota? It was registered as 6DX 738 during its years in West Virginia which I think were 2001-2009.
Quote:

I have owned my 1962 407 since 1999 which has a period 3 speed auto cast iron gearbox operated by round buttons on the RH of the steering wheel.
That's what is in mine too as far as I know. Definitely a Torqueflite 727 (donor unknown but I do have its serial number) fitted here in US with pushbutton operation.

Quote:

I do have an almost new handbook and spares manual for the car and a workshop manual. Apart from the shortened front end the 407 and 408 are very similar in many ways. The Mk 2 408 started at chassis number 7201
and may be only 14 cars in number.
The 408 CL 1 , your car numbered 58 in number that the club is aware of.

Obviously with a Chrysler engine and gear box your car has a huge supply of parts in the USA.
True although I gather from the paperwork that some custom stuff was needed due to the non-standard 360 engine (from 1978 Dodge Monaco apparently)going into a 408 - for example the engine mounts were, I am told, custom made!!!!!
Quote:

The rest of spares are not too difficult to find in the UK and the Bristol Owners Club, having access to the spare parts that Bristol Cars had in stock when the company finally ran out of money in February this year. It will be quite a time before they are catalogued and available but this forum will help.

Good luck and happy motoring.
Thanks again,
David