Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Adding headrests to 408????

Old 08-12-20, 06:46 PM

Default Adding headrests to 408????

Somewhere, browsing through the multiple Bristol websites this weekend, I saw an article on adding headrests to the 408 seats. Can anybody point me to it, please? I can't find it again for the life of me. Or suggest how to do this?

Thanks.

David
Old 12-12-20, 10:20 PM

Hi David

I wrote one for the BODA magazine; others may also have added them. My 408 has a wooden seat frame - later 411s are steel I understand. I got MGB headrests and two old MGB frames. I cut off the metal brackets from the old frames. When my seats were being retrimmed, I got the Mgb headrests made up to match and the brackets fixed inside the frames, with holes put in the top of the seats. The MGB chrome escutcheons to make that look smart are easy to get on eBay.
Old 12-12-20, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Hi David

I wrote one for the BODA magazine.
That's the one. Thank you for the description. I'll have to see if anything suitable can be found here. There are plenty of MGBs but not many in the wreckers yards!

David
Old 24-12-20, 05:07 PM

Default Headrests on a 410

I have a 1968 Bristol 410, on which one of the previous owners added headrests. They are very comfortable, but, I personally think they are too big. If you are in the back seat, they totally block your forward vision.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Bristol 410 - 18.jpg (94.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by a92miata; 24-12-20 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 24-12-20, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a92miata View Post
I have a 1968 Bristol 410, on which one of the previous owners added headrests. They are very comfortable, but, I personally think they are too big. If you are in the back seat, they totally block your forward vision.
Thank you. They do look large but very reassuring for the front passenger and driver I should think.

Anyway, I found these US-made generic add-on headrests from the 60s for sale here and bought a pair but have not yet fitted them. They will need recovering to match the seats. They attach to the back of the seat where they are screwed into the seat frame. Not ideal but much easier to install and should provide some whiplash protection if set high enough..

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sterling 1.jpg (253.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Sterling Installation (Copy).jpg (101.1 KB, 15 views)