Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Aeroflow Starter Motors.

Old 27-04-20, 11:50 AM

Default Aeroflow Starter Motors.

I have an intermittent starting problem to investigate on my 603E still fitted with its original 318 engine, main suspect is the battery isolator but in case it is the starter motor I started looking for potential replacements, on ebay I found several starter motors made by a company called Aeroflow, they are a bit more expensive than a standard replacement but even allowing for shipping costs from Australia they are still competitive compared with the price of upgraded American starter motors, the advert says they are slightly different in design and are compact to avoid fitting issues. If I need a new starter I am very tempted but has anyone fitted one to a 318 engine, did it go on without any issues and is it a worthwhile upgrade. The advert says the unit fits the larger engines as well including high compression variants so should, power wise be fine on a 318.
Geoff
Old 27-04-20, 05:58 PM

https://www.energyparts-shop.com/en/...olite-66925379

Using compatable part numbers on this site I came up with this high torque starter for my 403. I'm happy with its performance and the manufacturer is a parts supplier for the US military so I assume they are kosher.

It was substantially cheaper than comparable high torque starters. Being an American engine I would presume they would manufacture a motor for it, Geoff
Old 27-04-20, 11:07 PM

Geoff K

I found this one on Ebay a bit cheaper .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AEROFLOW...QAAOSwlTheHHiz

Geoff D
Old 28-04-20, 11:29 AM

Just buy a new mini high-torque one from somewhere like Rock Auto - about £70 plus delivery.