Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

GPS-Tracker in Bristol 408

Old 01-04-20, 05:28 AM

Default GPS-Tracker in Bristol 408

Dear BCI members,

does anyone have a recommendation where to install/hide a battery powered GPS tracker in a Bristol 408. I would like to use the device in several cars. Therefore the access should be easy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAJ-ALLROUN...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Thanks for any hint in advance and stay healthy.

Clemens Heddier
Germany/Coesfeld
Old 01-04-20, 11:10 PM

Clemens
The options are endless, study the construction of the car the areas you have access to easily and the areas you don't, I am happy to advise you further off forum but I would ask others not to respond to this it is not a subject that should be open to public access and if you mention what you have done on your car it could invalidate your insurance.
If any other member wants some suggestions please again contact me off forum I have pulled apart and put back together again 401's 408, 410,411 and 603 so should be able to help.
Geoff
Old 02-04-20, 05:29 AM

Geoff,
I tested some positions but in most cases it needs too much time to place the tracker. Other positions will allow no free view to the sky. I believe that a tracker will need minimum 4 satellites to work accurately. This will reduce the number of “good” places.

I think I found a comfortable position. If anybody likes to know this I would send it by private mail.

Clemens
Old 02-04-20, 09:54 AM

Clemens,
Reading the specification this morning it strikes me as a rather unusual unit compared to some I have seen fitted to cars which are concealed out of sight so as not to alert someone to their presence.
Will contact you off forum about that,
Geoff.
Old 06-04-20, 09:54 PM

Default Tracker

As one of the largest tracker agents in the U.k until I retired , I would not recommend that a tracker should be moved from car to car. We never ever let the owner know where the tracker was fitted whether it was in a car, lorry or piece of plant.
The vehicle was delivered to our premises and the tracker fitted, even the driver of an HGV or JCB was never allowed to know or see it fitted. We fitted Bentleys , Lamborghinis , Porches with them, and the Securicor truck back devices but the owner was never told where they were fitted.
So moving one from car to car is pointless, it cannot be hidden. We spent a long time on each vehicle finding a suitable place , hardly ever repeating the position.
Old 07-04-20, 04:30 AM

Nick, I understand your point. But I use several classic cars sometimes only for one or two days per season (Prewar I cars). Therefore I would prefer a portable solution. As electronic engineer I feel very comfortable with this solution. For regular customers and transport companies you are absolutely right.

Tags
#gps, #tracker #alarmsystem