Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Advice opinions please

Old 15-05-22, 09:02 AM

Yes, I realise you are in Germany but I still think it’s necessary to provide Amsteer with accurate information for the replacement parts.
May I suggest:-
Taking off the track rod and ends from one side, check the dimensions of the tapers also the diameter of the track rod, although this is not critical but the length is. When I did my suspension I wasn’t able to remove one of the tre’s from the bar. It was well and truly anchored.
Amsteer fabricated new bars of a suitable length with extra thread at each end. If it had been necessary (which it wasn’t) I could have cut a little off each end to achieve the correct length, too long wouldn’t have been an issue but too small would have been.
For the sake of a few hours work you will at least have the confidence when the new ones arrive, they will fit.
You could also try faxing them on 01827 61999. Prefaced with the international code.
Regards
Brian
Old 23-05-22, 05:39 AM

Did car run around New Forest yesterday (treasure hunt/tulip diagram type thing). Great test of cooling system as covered 80 miles in six hours driving!
It was a warm day (by UK standards) but no issues whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 4.43.06 PM.jpeg (141.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-05-23 at 4.43.06 PM-2.jpeg (129.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Kevin H; 23-05-22 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 23-05-22, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas591 View Post
Has anyone done business with Amsteer lately? I am trying to get a quotation for a complete set of modified trackrods for my 411 since the end of march.

Thomas
Why do you want to modify the track rods? I presume you know that the track rod ends are identical to those used on the Austin Healy 3000 - you do need to know whether you need right or left hand threaded ends. They use a Whitworth thread.
Old 23-05-22, 09:23 AM

Hi Roger,

I investgated this topic extensivly in the last days. Please excuse me if I sound smart alec but your statement has to be corrected, at least for my Bristol 411 S5.

1. The 2 track rod ends (TRE) from the inner tube are different from the one used on the outer rods. Their taper is bigger with a 1/2-20 UNF thread.

2. All 3 trackrods use a 5/8 UNF thread with matching lock nuts

3. The 4 TRE on the lh/rh side rods have a smaller taper with a 7/16-20 UNF thread.

Why do I want to modify the trackrods? Ease of adjustment. The original design is a pain to adjust properly and very time consuming. In an area were a half turn on the trackrod can make all the difference, I think it is importanted to have the best track alingnment possible.

Unless proven otherwise, I think that the common statement "TRE's from the Austin-Healey will fit" (Also found on the BODA homepage's technical section) is too simple. I can't tell if the A-H TRE's will fit, but if thats the case only either for the side rods or the center rod, not all three rods. The only TRE that could possibly be used are the one for the later 3000 MK2/3 BJ7/BJ8 model as the earlyer cars use a differend design of TRE.

Regards

Thomas
Old 23-05-22, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA View Post
Did car run around New Forest yesterday (treasure hunt/tulip diagram type thing). Great test of cooling system as covered 80 miles in six hours driving!
It was a warm day (by UK standards) but no issues whatsoever.
Great to hear and looking good in those photos!

David
Old 23-05-22, 01:42 PM

Thomas

I feel I must defend my corner in that I know what I told you re A/H track rod ends is absolutely correct for the 408s, 409s and 410s. Given the proviso re the later A/H 3000’s.

Tracking was very straightforward on the earlier cars given the combination of LH and RH threads on the centre rod. Your comments re your difficulties indicate that something changed from earlier Bristol practise, perhaps they just ran out of L/H threaded T/E’s.

I note your comments re a difference between the inner two and outer four T/E’s. I also note that Amsteer list a different T/E for the 411. This might suggest that Bristols went for a bigger T/E on the inner rod on the later cars and continued to use the A/H T/E’s on the outers. Note that this means that the drop arms would also differ in this detail from those on the earlier cars

My memory continues to say very firmly that the track rods on the 408s to 410s carried Whitworth threads and the lock nuts also required a Whit spanner, but I have no way of actually double checking that so I could be mistaken. So forgive me if this is a red herring but it might just be worth your checking that the rod end of any track rod end does actually meet your requirements before you order.

Can I suggest that the best person to consult re your Series 5 might be Brian Marelli, the fount of all knowledge, who is I think now to be found at Coleman Classic Cars on +44 (0) 20 3987 3812

Hope that this is some help

Roger
Old 23-05-22, 02:26 PM

I am getting a little confused, which isn’t difficult!
My 410 has three track rods, one on the left hand side, one on the right hand side and one central.

The left and right hand side track rods need adjusting independently, which is quite difficult and time consuming if all 4 TRE’s have a left hand thread. Each side needs to be aligned. To carry out the adjustments one end of the track rod is removed from say the hub and turned inwards or outwards on the rod as needed. Once both side are set to the correct line the central track rod is then adjusted to achieve the correct toe in or toe out. The central rod does not adjust the tracking. How much easier it is with 2LH and 2RH on the track rods.
Old 23-05-22, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODD View Post
I am getting a little confused, which isn’t difficult!.
So am I! I don’t understand what you are trying to adjust on the outer track rods, they only (I say only, but they are of course vital to the whole scheme of things) connect the steering arm on the hubs to the drop arms. They affect no element of the steering geometry. They don’t need adjusting, they just need doing up tight and leaving well alone until such time as a track rod end needs to be changed and that’s the only time they ever need to be touched. "Adjusting" them would affect toe in / toe out of course but would be extremely tedious and that’s not what they’re there for. Since they affect no element of steering geometry in themselves - leave them well alone.

One of the drop arms is connected to the steering box, the other to an idler box. The two drop arms are connected to each other by the central track rod which carries a left hand thread at one end and a right hand thread at the other. Toe in/out is readily adjusted by loosening off the lock nuts and rotating the central rod one way or the other.

Can I refer you to the relevant page of the 410 spares handbook on this forum Resources - Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum which illustrates the various parts I’m referring to

If by "tracking" you mean you are seeking to get the steering wheel to match the actual straight ahead position of the wheels this is very readily achieved, after having set the toe in, by taking a careful note of the position of the s/wheel when the car is tracking straight (which is much easiest done on a short test run on the road) and then relocating the steering wheel appropriately on its splines. This is dead simple when you know how, let me know if any further advice is required.

Hope this is some help and that I don’t sound too bossy.

Roger
Old 23-05-22, 11:01 PM

Hi Roger,

I totally agree to what you wrote, but I think you referring to an fully operational system which is nicely and properly adjusted.

In my case, I can’t leave my steering system “well alone” because out of 6 track rod ends 3 are worn out, one has been replaced by a previous owner with a non correct TRE, one track rod is damaged by severe mishandling and the left track rod is adjusted to be about 20mm shorter than the right track rod.

You can see from the above that, while renewing the complete system, it will help me to set up the track, to have conventional lh/rh threaded TRE’s.

Regards

Thomas
Old 25-05-22, 10:29 AM

Hi Roger,

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here.

The outer track rods do affect the steering geometry. They can’t just be taken out of the box and fitted in the hope the central track rod will do all the necessary adjustments. Otherwise why have adjustable outer track rods.

I maintain that on a Bristol with 4No. LH threaded TRE’s the near side and off side wheels have to be aligned first, the outer track rods are then adjusted and fitted accordingly. Once aligned, fitted and secured, the central rod is adjusted to provide the tracking i.e toe in or out.

Tracking on cars do go out of alignment for many reasons, often one of the early signs as you know is excessive wear on the inner or outer edge of the front tyres. To correct the problem the wheel alignment must be checked before the central track rod is adjusted again.

Where a car has what in my mind is a more conventional system, where the two outer track rods have a LH and RH thread. The alignment and tracking (toe in or out) is done in the same procedure.
This system also negates the need for an adjustable central track rod. On many cars the central rod is a fixed length and not adjustable.

The steering wheel position has nothing to do with what I am saying above but when you have your car tracked the mechanic will position the steering wheel “straight” and clamp it in position while carrying the adjustments to the tracking.

Finally, I don’t think you are being too bossy, we just don’t agree and yes I would like some further advice please albeit on a different subject, I have set my question on a new thread for simplicity.

Brian
Old 18-09-22, 06:33 AM

Not doing much on the car front as tied up with house building and moving. That said, a recent highlight was when Sam Frost popped down to pick up rear screen I was selling. He brought his 410 and we took the opportunity to drive each other's cars which was fascinating as well as good fun. It was a very hot day (by UK standards anyway) and the most immediate and wonderful difference with Sam's car is the fully functional, factory fitted aircon - that's now on my shopping list!
Picture below is a bit like one of those "spot the difference" puzzles....mine's the early one on the right, still sporting its upside-down moustache under the grille.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA-photo-18092022.jpg (253.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by AndrewA; 18-09-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 18-09-22, 01:53 PM

The Vintage Air "Builder Series" aftermarket aircon is on my shopping list for the 410. Does anyone have any first hand experience?
Old 19-09-22, 05:13 AM

David while I can give you no specific advice on fitting Vintage Air to a 409 I have done a lengthy and difficult fit to my 411 Mk2.

Nearly every air conditioner fitted by the factory were what I call under dash units which fit between the gear box hump and the dash board. I did not want to do it that way but instead purchase a Vintage air unit with the intention of utilizing the 411 air vents on the dash. The only way to do this was to remove the existing heater and blower and cut a large hole in the flat area of the fire wall above the gear box hump.

I could go on for hours but the results were both good and bad. Sitting in the car you could see nothing other than 3 small knobs , There is no evidence of any change to the cabin, it all looks original and untouched. The heater built into the Vintage Air Unit works well. Under the bonnet the unit was boxed in and covered with the standard 411 material cover. All you can see is an air compressor and extra hoses.

The big problem is that having to remove the factory blower the Vintage Air unit wont move sufficient air to get a good flow of cold air through the 4 vents on the dash. This results in a car that, on a hot day, wont get sufficient cold air flow. I have tried a number of modifications to improve the problem but are thinking about reverting to the under dash system.

In a 409 I suspect you wont have room under the dash to fit it and you will still need some vent system. I would be looking for the smallest compact unit and fit it under the dash above the gear box hump then all you need is a couple of hoses running back to the engine.

Best of luck
Old 23-02-23, 12:49 PM

Bit the bullet and finally took the car to Alder Automotive to get my gearbox looked at.
After an extensive test drive the proprietor informed me that in his opinion I'd misdiagnosed the issue - which was a slight grumbling when pulling away under load - and that attention to the inside of said gearbox was fruitless. He put it down to resonance and is checking mounts etc. This was a relief as you can imagine. I also asked him to sort out the gear selector and gear lever which has always been floppy and had inaccurate selection. Many have attempted to improve this over the years with limited success so a new one of each - that match the original - are winging there way to him from across the pond.
He did a gearbox service and adjusted the bands so now I'm just waiting for the bits to arrive and for him to fit them.
More later.
Old 11-10-23, 09:11 AM

Bit of an update - correct gear selector mechanism and gear knob etc fitted - took months as parts supplier in USA kept sending wrong bits. Finally got car back in July and much better. After a week kickdown disappeared but once I understood how it worked, it was easily adjusted and now used at every opportunity.
Had a week away in it and lots of long runs - up to Essex to do Layer Marney Cup and then over to West Wales for a couple of nights with friends.
Car ran really well and found some great driving roads - the picture is the car on the Black Mountain Pass.
Car is being used for eldest daughters wedding in ten days time so have given the car a proper clean and sent hubcaps off for chroming as they were letting the whole thing down a bit.
All this talk of fuel injection is tempting but for now am just enjoying the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhatsApp_Image_2023-10-11.jpg (114.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Kevin H; 11-10-23 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 11-10-23, 02:03 PM

Andrew, when you talk about using kickdown are you referring to full-throttle or part-throttle? If part-throttle (eg 3 down to 2 when accelerating out of a roundabout) how did you achieve that? My 411/3 lacks that, and I have to do it manually. Not exactly stressful, but a minor annoyance!
Old 11-10-23, 02:10 PM

Prior to the early 1970s Torqueflites didn't have part throttle kickdown but there are upgrades available such as:

727 3-2 Kick Down Module (1966-69) - A&A Transmissions
Old 11-10-23, 02:27 PM

More useful info here

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads.../199003/1.html

It looks as though the module listed in the previous post enables part throttle kickdown but this can happen at higher speeds than on later setups. The full upgrade would require a later valve body. I believe this can be done with the transmission still in the car.

Andrew's 46RH transmission is probably circa 1992 to 1995 so will have several years of development on a standard 411 unit.
Old 11-10-23, 03:10 PM

Aaah...... light dawns, Andrew has a 4-speed....hadn't realised. I bought a part throttle kickdown module for my TF727 a while ago. It goes under the front of the valvebody and replaces another part. But I haven't summoned up the courage to take the valvebody off yet! I dropped the pan and changed the fluid earlier this year, not technically difficult although holding the spacer under the filter at the same time as getting the new filter in the right place so the bolts go in needs 2 and a half hands, which due to some design fault of mother nature I don't posess (yet...). I was going to do the kd module at the same time but chickened out, in case small unidentifiable bits boinged off into oblivion....
Thanks for the links.
Old 11-10-23, 03:42 PM

When you finally summon the courage to fit the kit you may want to consider fitting some updated Sonnax valves at the same time. The important one allows the torque converter to fill in park and avoids the clunk on take off.

I would advise against a shift improver kit. Martin Barnes talked me into one many moons ago and although it gives a more positive change it's a bit more boy racer and less Bentley. Personal preference but I prefer refined understatement until the pedal squashes the carpet.