Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Bristol 408 in Germany

Old 28-02-20, 06:12 PM

Default Bristol 408 in Germany

I am looking for 408 owners in Germany. I would like to register my 408 in the next weeks. Therefore I need to know the technical datas of the "Kraftfahrzeugschein". This documents includes more than the normal technical datas. There are also information about noice level under full speed and parking psition with running engine.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Clemens, Coesfeld Germany
Old 29-02-20, 01:26 AM

Clemens,
I can't help you with any of the documentation issues but as a past 408 owner I can tell you something about the noise these cars generate, when I bought mine it had two small Arbarth silencers fitted, fine for cruising around Brighton and the traffic light races but awful on the motorway.
I bought a pair of silencers from a company now I think sadly long gone Competition Cars of Hainolt, they sold me a pair of silencers, normally only one fitted to the original car, for a mid 50's Chrysler Imperial, the transformation was unbelievable, almost Rolls Royce in terms of sound output but with a whispering V8 Burble on tick over, if you need to cut the noise down go for something like this.
Geoff.
Old 29-02-20, 07:23 AM

Clemens,
Neither the instruction manual or the workshop manual contain any information about noise. I can't recall seeing anything about noise levels for any car of that era.

I would think your only chance of getting such information - if it exists - would be from Bristol Cars (the company).

Presumably owners of other classic cars in Germany must have faced the same problem.
Old 01-03-20, 09:22 PM

Clemens,
A friend with a D-registered 411 here in Hamburg which has a similar engine has parking noise entered as 82 and driving 80 but he doesn't remember where he got the numbers. My 405 has 85/78 but I also don't remember where these numbers came from.
Another friend has a 409 and I can ask him.
All seems a bit hypothetical considering the current exhaust systems etc!
Regards
Richard