Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

rear seat 603

Old 03-07-19, 12:56 PM

Default rear seat 603

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat back from my 603, it seems loose at the bottom but fixed at the top.
Many thanks
Old 03-07-19, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas j View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat back from my 603, it seems loose at the bottom but fixed at the top.
Many thanks
If it's similar or the same as the 411, which is quite likely, it will have two hooks on the rear of the seat back which engage with two slots in the bulkhead behind the seat. So you just need to slide the seat back upwards. On the 411 there were also two metal straps at the bottom which need to be disconnected first.

I just happen to have mine out of the car at the moment so have taken a photo of the hooks for you - see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 411-rear-seat-back.jpg (76.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-07-19, 01:34 AM

How did you get on the rear seat on your 603 Douglas?
Is it the same/similar to the 411 seat?
Old 05-07-19, 12:03 PM

Well not much luck so far, I think I need a bigger hammer.
The more I try and make sense of the assembly of these cars the more I realise they were made as a test, like some sort of puzzle, and I don't have the code book.
But I will carry on and beat the car in the end.
Thanks very much for the info and photo, most kind
John
Old 05-07-19, 02:05 PM

John,
Unfortunately Bristol stopped releasing any detailed technical documentation long before the 603. The latest workshop manual I have seen is for the 408, although they did still have parts lists up to the 410. Neither exist for the 411, or probably for any model that came after that.

However, Bristol didn't change things just for the sake of it, consequently the last 411 series has part numbers that belonged to the 407.

My memory isn't completely reliable but I think it took quite a bit of effort to get the seat back off the first time I removed it on my car. However, I don't want to recommend brute force without knowing for sure how the seat is fixed at the top. That said, what other options are possible?

Hopefully another 603 owner who has removed their seat back can confirm how it comes off. When you solve the puzzle please let us know!
Old 06-07-19, 05:00 PM

Kevin,
I have just removed the rear seat, it was held by two self tapping bolts either side of the seat, there are two squabs either side of the seat, remove them and there are the bolts. easy when you know.
Thanks for all your input, and onto the next problem.
John