Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Steering pump

Old 10-04-19, 05:45 PM

Default Steering pump

Does anyone know what car the steering pump in the 603 came from please. Or indeed, has anyone replaced their pump with something that is readily available.
Old 11-04-19, 12:13 PM

If Bristol Cars don't have a pump one of the American car parts suppliers such as US Automotive or Ultimate Spares of America should be able to help, I had a pump for my 410 from one of them but as the car is now sold I don't have the bills to look up the details, the other option is order direct from the states from someone like Summit Racing who are very good, on their site for example for my 603E a search for Chrysler 318 power steering pumps brings up several options, I suspect the S uses the same pump.
Bear in mind though they do not come with the pulley and special tools are needed to remove and refit this to avoid damaging the new pump, I got those off eBay, very handy as we have done three pump changes now including a Ford E150.
Old 12-04-19, 12:05 AM

Hi Geoff,
What are the special tools called? Is it just a puller?

Regards
Kevin
Old 12-04-19, 06:19 PM

Kevin,
I have two Snap On tools bought to do this job and a power steering pump pully service kit bought later which was cheaper and more comprehensive,
The Snap On tools are part reference CJ124A and CJ 113B, one of these is a 'take off puller' the head slots on to the centre part of the pulley, the tapered centre of the shaft engages with the pump pulley drive shaft and when tightened draws the pulley off the shaft, trying to do the job with conventional pullers is tricky.
The centre of the pump drive shaft is threaded, the other tool is screwed into position and tightened up, it then has for want of a better description a threaded drift which as it is tightened up pulls the pulley on to its drive shaft without risking any damage to the pump or the casing.
The kit I bought a bit later directly from the United States was as I said referred to as a Power Steering Pump Pulley Service Kit it was made by a company called KD Tools, this one in addition to doing the Chrysler pumps also does GM and Ford so a bit more versatile, from memory it cost less than one of the Snap On tools , the reference number is 41560 and it came from MyUSTool through Amazon not eBay as I thought.
The Snap On tools were ordered through eBay but again came from a US supplier as the price even allowing for shipping was better than I could get them for in the UK where they were not a stock item at the time,
Geoff.

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 12-04-19 at 06:36 PM.
Old 19-04-19, 07:14 AM

Default stearing Pump

Try 440source.com In the USA. Chrysler bits only. Very well priced huge range great to deal with.

The pump is $99.00 US for the unkeyed model