Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Jacking points on 408

Old 21-07-18, 07:27 PM

Default Jacking points on 408

I appreciate I can use the supplied jack through the floor of my 408 but could someone advise me on using a trolley jack. Where can I put it to lift the front or back up. I may be being over cautious but my Lotus Elise is very particular in this regard and I don't want to damage the 408. It looks like someone tried to use a trolley jack in front of the jacking point and succeeded only in damaging the thin metal sheet!

I have searched the forums but couldn't find the answer.

Many thanks

Ian.
Old 21-07-18, 08:14 PM

Anywhere on the main chassis should be fine, back axle on the diff or near the hubs, and the front cross member.
The boot floor and floors of the under wing bays should be avoided at all costs and in the unlikely event of the car being fitted with a tow bar do not use that as a lifting point.
Be careful on the main chassis not to crush the fuel and brake pipes and the latter on the rear axle.
I always use a trolley jack in the workshop and have had no problems, though a mechanic who does work for me from time to time damaged and had to repair one of the under wing bays when he wrongly assumed it was strong enough to take the weight of the car on that corner.
I always make sure Tyre fitters are aware of the areas to avoid after seeing one clown about to jack my old 408 on the back of the sill years ago.
Also garages with two post lifts.
Geoff.