Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/)
-   8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8-10-cyl-bristol-cars/)
-   -   Wheel spacers (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8-10-cyl-bristol-cars/1478-wheel-spacers.html)

Geoff Kingston 21-08-17 12:08 PM

Wheel spacers

I was talking to a fellow 603 owner yesterday and some other club members at the BOC event at Yeovil and the subject of wheel spaces came up to widen the track at the rear of the car.
Is this what Bristol did on the later cars or did they actually fit a wider axle, are wheel spacers a good idea or do they pose any potential problems or safety risks. Also how do insurers view this modification.
I would be interested of any thoughts on, or experiences with this modification and if it was successful the make and source of spacers that would fit.
Geoff.

herrbartlet 21-08-17 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There are two ways to go, a simple spacer or the adapter type. For the spacer, I would suggest anything more than 5 or 6mm would require longer studs, which are an unusual thread (but from memory same as Land Rover) - some LR suppliers may make overlong studs.

The adapter plate type: problems I foresee - You would need to ensure that existing studs finish flush with the face of the plate, otherwise the wheel will not sit on the machined face, so the wheel arch needs to accommodate something like a 40mm spacer, anything less and the existing studs would need shortening. The OD of the raised centre piece has to be compatible with the centre hole of the wheel. New nuts will be needed to locate the adapter plate and the wheels to the adapter. Or change the bolts so existing wheel nuts can be utilised.

Not a straightforward 5 minute job as most options require modified studs and the removal of the rear hub.

A fatter tyre helps fill the arch. I have 235/70/15 on standard rims on the rear.

I would suggest modest spacers are not a danger, as they remain freely on sale.

No experience of Insurer's views on spacers, but having read horror stories about them refusing to pay out for the flimsiest of reasons, I always make a point of declaring wider tyres, which has yet to cause any comment.

TBC 22-08-17 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herrbartlet (Post 9006)
There are two ways to go, a simple spacer or the adapter type. For the spacer, I would suggest anything more than 5 or 6mm would require longer studs, which are an unusual thread (but from memory same as Land Rover) - some LR suppliers may make overlong studs.

The adapter plate type: problems I foresee - You would need to ensure that existing studs finish flush with the face of the plate, otherwise the wheel will not sit on the machined face, so the wheel arch needs to accommodate something like a 40mm spacer, anything less and the existing studs would need shortening. The OD of the raised centre piece has to be compatible with the centre hole of the wheel. New nuts will be needed to locate the adapter plate and the wheels to the adapter. Or change the bolts so existing wheel nuts can be utilised.

Not a straightforward 5 minute job as most options require modified studs and the removal of the rear hub.

A fatter tyre helps fill the arch. I have 235/70/15 on standard rims on the rear.

I would suggest modest spacers are not a danger, as they remain freely on sale.

No experience of Insurer's views on spacers, but having read horror stories about them refusing to pay out for the flimsiest of reasons, I always make a point of declaring wider tyres, which has yet to cause any comment.

Would you be good enough to post pictures of your 603 wearing 205 and 235 tyres so that we can see the difference in appearance?

Andy603 11-10-17 11:42 AM

Wheel spascers

1 Attachment(s)
I fitted the alloy spacers which srew onto the hub to my 603. Sourced from Greg Lowe.