Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/)
-   8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8-10-cyl-bristol-cars/)
-   -   411 Series VI (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/8-10-cyl-bristol-cars/144-411-series-vi.html)

Kevin H 11-11-08 11:42 PM

411 Series VI

2 Attachment(s)
For those who may not be aware, there was a very nicely presented article in the Oct 08 Octane magazine about what “you might call a 411 Series VI”, according to Toby Silverton. The article contains some good detailed pictures and the car featured is absolutely stunning (although I may be a little biased !).

The article's author says;
“Being aware of the popularity of the 411, Toby Silverton has come up with a plan. Being Bristol Cars this is a very Bristol plan. Whilst buyers of the Blenheim and Fighter keep the order books healthy, enthusiasts still hanker after the 411 of yore.”

The article quotes Toby Silverton;
“We basically build a brand new Bristol 411 at the Bristol works, with all the sorts of upgrades you expect in a modern car but retaining the classic 411 virtues. The Series VI comes with a new car warranty and will cost you £128,500.”

Personally, I think this is a very good plan! It effectively immortalises the 411.

I can’t help thinking how much Toby Silverton’s views must have changed.

In March 2000 a letter from Mr Silverton was published in the Classic & Thoroughbred cars magazine, the letter was responding to an article by Martin Buckley the previous month. Talking about Martin, he said;

“…, he says that Bristol’s style ‘has presence and poise’ then likens it (the Blenheim 3) to a [Reliant engineered, Turkish-built] Anadol which clearly has none. Bristol buyers happily enjoy no such confusion, many saying that the Blenheim 3 eclipses their previous style favourite, the 411. As usual Bristol is fully sold for some time ahead. By contrast there is no demand for newly-built 411s as he (Buckley) proposes.”

I’m sure the irony of this has not been lost on Martin Buckley :)

browning l 12-11-08 02:32 AM

There may not be quite as much irony as you suggest. Isn't it true that in 2000, Silverton was just barely getting started at Bristol with Mr. Crook, while he has recently been able to follow his own lead, since Mr. Crook is no longer involved with Bristol?

I believe it would be pretty difficult to know just what the terms of the purchase and management authority were between those two gentlemen initially, and how they changed over time as Silverton's position strengthened.

Mr. Syd Lovesy, who was pre-Crook at Bristol, has outlasted Crook, and is very happy with Toby as his new owner, volunteered to me last October 17th that Mr. Crook had had no interest at all in doing this type of work on older cars (which certainly suggests that it had been discussed), but that Mr. Silverton did, and the plant staff were quite pleased with the concept and how it is working out.

Kevin H 12-11-08 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning l (Post 594)
There may not be quite as much irony as you suggest. Isn't it true that in 2000, Silverton was just barely getting started at Bristol with Mr. Crook ...

Maybe irony isn't the right word. But can I can only image what Martin Buckley's reaction would have been when he read that recent Octane article.

When that letter appeared in March 2000 I think it was the first time many Bristol enthusiasts had even heard of Toby Silverton, at least in any association with Bristol.

At the time I think quite number of people considered the letter quite vitriolic, particularly given the good humoured nature of the article Martin Buckley had written. Indeed, I think many people felt that Mr Silverton had been to the TADC School Of Letter Writing!

If anyone should have been offended it should have been the BOC Members, of whom Buckley said "beards, dandruff and bow-ties is my memory".

Anyway, it sounds like hatchets have been buried because Martin Buckley recently interviewed Toby Silverton, on a visit to the showroom I believe. But he still didn't get a test drive! I think it would do Bristol considerably more good than harm to give Buckley a test drive of the 411 Series VI, I reckon he would love it!

browning l 12-11-08 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Howard (Post 595)
Maybe irony isn't the right word. But can I can only image what Martin Buckley's reaction would have been when he read that recent Octane article.

When that letter appeared in March 2000 I think it was the first time many Bristol enthusiasts had even heard of Toby Silverton, at least in any association with Bristol.

At the time I think quite number of people considered the letter quite vitriolic, particularly given the good humoured nature of the article Martin Buckley had written. Indeed, I think many people felt that Mr Silverton had been to the TADC School Of Letter Writing!

If anyone should have been offended it should have been the BOC Members, of whom Buckley said "beards, dandruff and bow-ties is my memory".

Anyway, it sounds like hatchets have been buried because Martin Buckley recently interviewed Toby Silverton, on a visit to the showroom I believe. But he still didn't get a test drive! I think it would do Bristol considerably more good than harm to give Buckley a test drive of the 411 Series VI, I reckon he would love it!

Mr. Howard, have you ever thought of writing a gossip column?

TLF799R 12-11-08 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Howard (Post 593)
I’m sure the irony of this has not been lost on Martin Buckley :)

Surprise, surprise, they can't do right for doing wrong!

At least you have a chance to catch up on the series 6!

Philippa

TLF799R 12-11-08 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning l (Post 596)

LOL

Philippa

Kevin H 12-11-08 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browning l (Post 596)

The thought has never crossed my mind Mr Browning. At least I don't think it has.

I have toyed with the idea of publishing my archive of the old BOC Forum and BEEF mail list discussions over the last ten years.

Kevin H 12-11-08 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLF799R (Post 598)
Surprise, surprise, they can't do right for doing wrong!

At least you have a chance to catch up on the series 6!

Philippa

Oh come on Philippa, take off the rose tinted spectacles. Martin Buckley was publicly ridiculed for expressing the idea eight years ago, now it's a brilliant Bristol plan!

browning l 12-11-08 02:02 PM

Is it absolutely certain that what was discussed in 2000, is the same as what BMC are now offering?

There is some indication that the early discussion involved selling completely newly-built 411 cars in 2000, some 24 years after production had ceased on the model, as opposed to taking existing 411s in 2008 and upgrading them to the customer's specification, which is the current offering.

If so, we are seeing horses of different colors.

By the way, Mr. Silverton will take your phone calls, although he's busy tomorrow taking a Fighter to the B'ham show for display at the Bristol Stand.

TLF799R 12-11-08 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Howard (Post 601)
Oh come on Philippa, take off the rose tinted spectacles. Martin Buckley was publicly ridiculed for expressing the idea eight years ago, now it's a brilliant Bristol plan!

A hah! That's it! Your writing pseudonym is Martin Buckley and you've been holding a grudge ever since!

Philippa

browning l 12-11-08 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Howard (Post 600)
I have toyed with the idea of publishing my archive of the old BOC Forum and BEEF mail list discussions over the last ten years.

Tattler or the tabloids might be willing to assist you.

Kevin H 12-11-08 10:47 PM

As you may have noticed, this is a discussion forum, where everyone is welcome to air their views, including Mr Silverton. I'm sure the forum members would welcome his input.