Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Britannia Wiper Arms

Old 08-10-15, 05:41 PM

Default Britannia Wiper Arms

Just bought a Britannia and it's missing wiper arms. They are bolt on type. Does anyone know what length they should be, or from which manufacturer/model they were sourced. Ditto the spindles which are seized. Thanks.
Old 08-10-15, 06:40 PM

If anyone can confirm that the wiper arrangement is the same as the 603 the spindles are connected by a rack with a direct drive off the wiper motor located behind the glove compartment, if that is the case on your car make sure it is not the wiper motor that is seized on mine it was ( only discovered after fitting should have checked it first ) and they are difficult to find being only used as far as I could find out on the Rover SD1, my replacement was sourced off eBay, Rimmer Brothers did have some new ones for sale complete with the racks but I have no idea if Bristol used the Rover rack as well, if they did the chances are the arms might be Rover as well.
The only caution I might add on the Rimmer option is that these parts if they still have any left are almost certainly from the stock of parts they acquired from India when SD1 production ceased there so may not be the same as the UK built cars, worth asking them though if you need one.
Old 08-10-15, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. The motor has blown; there is power up to the motor and the spindles have seized. Good job I noticed otherwise I would have blown the replacement. My research concurs with your info in that the Lucas LWR130/75914 (new part#GNU7741) was only fitted to SD1s and 603s. Rimmers was the only source I found and am awaiting its delivery. They reckoned there was only one type of wiper motor used on the SD1s. We shall see........
Old 17-11-15, 04:12 PM

For info:
The wiper motor supplied by Rimmers was the correct type (SD1/603).
They sell the motor and mechanism as a complete assembly.
The SD1 wiper mechanism (or the spindles) is nothing like that fitted to the Britannia. Britannia phots attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 038.JPG (379.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 037.JPG (378.7 KB, 9 views)