Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Speedster Article Octane May 2014

Old 13-04-14, 04:18 AM

Default Speedster Article Octane May 2014

A good article on the Speedster in this issue. The featured car is owned by Simon Draper. Any one know how many Speedsters were made? Also the factory were offering a 5.4 liter engine on their website at one time rather than the 5.9 liter engine used in the Blenheim. Did this 5.4 lite engine ever make it into production?

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Old 12-05-14, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I'll get hold of a copy.
I often wondered whether that was the only one ever built!
Old 12-05-14, 07:46 PM

There are photos of a Speedster with no hood and only an aeroscreen, which would imply there are at least two (unless the first car was modified to become Draper's roadster of course).
Old 13-05-14, 03:40 PM

There have never been any volume built 5.4 Chrysler engines, at least not since the 'Fire-Power' first generation Hemis of the 1950s. My feeling is that this Speedster 5.4 engine is just a typo for 5.9. I do hope 2 or more Speedsters were built, but I would be surprised. Simon Draper has a soft spot for extremely odd cars !
Old 13-05-14, 03:51 PM

I suppose the 5.4 might have been the Ford engine ??
Old 26-05-14, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseateducation View Post
Thanks for the heads up - I'll get hold of a copy.
I often wondered whether that was the only one ever built!
There are at least three, the one made for Toby Silverton that was alleged to have been found in the factory which was a mule from the 60s (it wasn't, it was a latter day confection of a re-bodied 410 with new clothes from a 405 saloon and additional panels), the blue beautifully trimmed version that used to appear on the BCL website and the Draper car. I have been told there was another car as well but I don't have any information on that.

Brabazon did a version with a screen and hood on a shorter wheelbase as a one off.

The screenless car is beautifully proportioned and does make you wonder what might have been..........
Old 26-05-14, 01:13 PM

It was built on a 408 ,not 410
Old 27-05-14, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info.
They are lovely looking cars - always good to have a bit of wind in the hair (if I had any!)
Old 28-05-14, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdownplace View Post
There are at least three, the one made for Toby Silverton that was alleged to have been found in the factory which was a mule from the 60s (it wasn't, it was a latter day confection of a re-bodied 410 with new clothes from a 405 saloon and additional panels), the blue beautifully trimmed version that used to appear on the BCL website and the Draper car. I have been told there was another car as well but I don't have any information on that.

Brabazon did a version with a screen and hood on a shorter wheelbase as a one off.

The screenless car is beautifully proportioned and does make you wonder what might have been..........
Do you have any pictures of the Brabazon car? The shorter wheel base would make the handling a bit more sporty perhaps?

Regards

AlanD
Sydney