View Single Post
Old 08-05-15, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livermoreb View Post
That is interesting Tom. How did you get it to run properly with the Pertronix? Did you have to make any major changes to the timing? I tried to get mine running at 7 btdc as it says in my handbook but that was no good. It ticked over fine at around 19 btdc but as soon as I tried to accelerate it started misfiring.

Also, what did you do about the vacuum advance? As soon as I reconnected that it seemed to go haywire.
I think it is essential to keep the gap between the pickup and the magnetic ring as small as possible. And check if the coil and the HT leads are suitable for electronic ignition.
I had to disconnect the vacuum line anyway, as the unit itself was broken. After timing was set to spec the engine ran pefectly smooth and revved easily.

But I had a similar problem to yours with my Fiat 2300 S Coupe after I fitted a Pertronix. I found one of the small screws that came with the kit was to long. So the centrifugal advance was blocked, hence the timing at higher revs completly out.
Another time I trapped the wires of the pickup between cap and distibutor body...
Hope that helps.
Tom