View Single Post
Old 28-04-15, 11:05 PM

Default Electronic ignition

I decided to fit electronic ignition to my 1969 410 thinking that it would improve cold starting, make for better performance and reliability and possibly improve fuel consumption.

Having studied what was on offer I decided to go for the Pertronix Ignitor system, which had good reviews. The kit duly arrived and was, as promised, pretty straightforward to fit, apart from having to run a cable from the ballast resistor under the off side wing cover. I got the engine running on tickover and reset the timing to 7 btdc as stated in the manual.

All seemed fine until I tried to rev the engine when it popped and banged and fumes were sent shooting out of the carburettor.To cut a long story short, I tried everything I could, in consultation with the Distributor Doctor, who supplied the kit, Pertronix UK and Pertronix in the States but nothing worked and I have reverted to the old points. They all seem convinced that there is nothing wrong with the Ignitor kit and that it must be a problem with the car.

One thing I noticed was that there seemed to be no spark on No. 5 cyllinder. I checked the lead and the distributor cap but they seem fine and work perfectly with the points.

My question is, has anyone else fitted this system and, if so, have they had similar problems?