Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

limiter straps

Old 04-06-11, 02:54 PM

Default limiter straps

I'd be most grateful for any advice on replacing the rear axle limiter straps on my 405 (the manual calls them check straps). Do I need to get proper replacement products or can I just use some modern webbing, and if so where could I get something suitable? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-11, 04:26 PM
Banned

Default Check straps for the rear axle

Depending upon size and composition, there are likely better products out there than the originals. You will need to check with some industrial supply firms. Take along a piece of the material to show the counter person what you are looking for. That rubberized strapping has many applications, and you will find the newer material much more durable. A belt for a larger machine comes to mind, and it will be much stronger and more durable than the original material. Good luck.
Old 04-06-11, 05:38 PM

Default limiter straps rear axle

Hi Sacko,

I got a set of straps , brackets and bolts from Spencer Lane - Jones ( +44 1985 847133 ) for my 403 in July 2003 - cost £ 65.

Spencer also gave me some invaluable advice on how to adjust the measurements correctly at time of fixing. Probably different for a 405 but he will know.
Dave Dale.
Old 05-06-11, 05:53 AM

Default Rear axle limiter straps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacko View Post
I'd be most grateful for any advice on replacing the rear axle limiter straps on my 405 (the manual calls them check straps). Do I need to get proper replacement products or can I just use some modern webbing, and if so where could I get something suitable? Thanks for your help.
Car seat belt material makes good straps, so either buy from a accessary dealer or a good length from a car scrap yard, my regards. Bellerophon
Old 06-06-11, 07:53 PM

Default axle straps

Alfa Romeo used similar straps on the Spider. I am not sure that they will be the correct length, but they will be close. I did not use the straps on my racing Arnolt Bristol. I understand their purpose, but I am not sure that they are required. Kevin

Tags
axle, limiter, straps