Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

403 indicator switch dismantling

Old 05-02-11, 04:50 PM

Default 403 indicator switch dismantling

Can anyone tell me how to remove the indicator switch on top of the facia, in the middle ?

I can remove the stalk grub screw but there is no obvious way of removing the switch. The contacts are very light and I often leave the indicator on, so I want to connect an instrument light to it, so that I can see when it is flashing.

Following on from that has anyone fitted additional relays/ fuses? If so, where did you locate them and for which circuits?

So much to do and I'm only just scratching the surface!

Regards, Peter
Old 05-02-11, 10:19 PM

I assume you've found the switch under the bonnet, the grub screw you've removed goes into an extender shaft, other female end is fixed to the switch shaft by a normal screw rather than grub, slotted for fore and aft adjustment, switch body is retained to a plate by a big knurled ring nut, like a regular kind of dash switch. Hopefully when you open the switch you'll find a jammed up clockwork cancelling mechanism, which will free off with a good rinsing of petrol, parrafin, or whatever takes your fancy.
For your warning light, the switch has 3 terminals, one is live with ign. the other 2 go to trafficators, connect your lamp between these terminals and it will glow whichever way you indicate.
Old 05-02-11, 10:40 PM

No Des, I got as far as 'this cover won't come off, don't force it, ask for help'.

My manual is completely silent on where the switch is.

Thank you very much, I didn't realise the switch was in the engine bay, I will look there. It wasn't much of a day for exploring!

Regards, Peter
Old 10-02-11, 06:00 PM

Default Rewire with additions

Here is a current photo of my dash electrical. In the lower left is an added bracket which holds 4 relays and 20 fuses. This bracket attaches up and out of site. The wiring shown is from a restoration from the 70's, hence not the original cotton insulation, but the color codes on the wiring are correct. I am not using the on-dash terminal bus system, as it is not easily accessible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 401Electrics.jpg (88.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 27-03-11, 07:27 PM

Thanks Des,
Got to the switch today. You were right. Although superficially clean the mechanism was jammed. It took a lot of lubricating to get it running again (probably for the first time in 30 years). Incidentally it didn't like dry chain grease!

Got it reassembled and added the repeater light. No more driving along with the indicator on.

Regards, Peter
Old 09-04-11, 10:03 PM

Default Indicators

Here are 2 photos that illustrate how I installed LED indicators. I wanted them to not be noticeable and they are not. The LED's peak out of their small holes just enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.jpg (96.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (104.0 KB, 44 views)