Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/)
-   6 cyl Bristol cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/6-cyl-bristol-cars/)
-   -   403 Barn Find! (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/6-cyl-bristol-cars/536-403-barn-find.html)

Kevin H 26-10-10 12:42 PM

403 Barn Find!

6 Attachment(s)
Actually the title isn't quite true, because I have known the owner of this car for over 20 years and have always known it was in his garage. Sadly, I don't think it hasn't moved in all that time.

The car is complete, with original power train. It requires a total restoration.

What is it worth?

My guess is that it's worth more in parts than it is as a single unit. Very sad I know, but am I wrong?

EDIT: This car is NOT currently "for sale"

Geoff Dowdle 26-10-10 07:57 PM

Barn Find 403

Kevin is this car located in Australia? If so I would like more details , surely we can find someone to restore it .
Regards
Geoff

Geoff Kingston 26-10-10 09:18 PM

403 Barn Find!

Kevin,
I have only ever seen wire wheels on a V8 Bristol many years ago and they were bolt on which the wheels on this one don't appear to be, so a hub change? and if so do you you by any chance know what to?
Is the car still on drum or disk brakes?
It looks to me quite a reasonable project far to good to use for parts if the chassis is sound, hope someone takes it on if it is for sale
Andrew Blow has a 405 that need recommissioning/restoring for sale at the moment looks about the same condition but with better seats, running but not drivable around £15K, if this car is sound and will run it must be worth at least that?
Geoff.

Kevin H 26-10-10 09:43 PM

Geoff D, The car is in Australia, but it's not going anywhere in the foreseeable future and it is likely I will be consulted by the owner before it is sold, so I will be sure to let you know when the time comes.

However, as we were chatting about it at the weekend the inevitable questions came up, how much is it worth as is? , how much would it cost to restore? and how much is the power train worth on it's own? So I though I would ask the questions here.

I know it's terrible to think of (what appears to be ) sound cars like this robbed of their power train, but the economic realities are such that it has been happening.

Geoff K, I will endeavour to find out about the hubs and brakes. I assumed the wires were original, they certainly look it, but coming from the V8 camp I don't know much about the 403's.

Unfortunately I don't believe the engine has been run in recent years, although I understand it does turn over.

Edit/PS. I should point out that this car is not "for sale", but I will make equiries as to whether the owner would consider selling it. I am quite sure he would only sell it to someone who would restore it.

Rubbond 26-10-10 10:07 PM

403 Barn Find!

Aren't these just standard knock-ons? Bolt-on wires sound very tacky,
American even.
The ones in the photo require an octagonal spanner. Often you see the
illegal winged type which give you something to clout with a copper hammer.
To convert you would need to replace the standard hubs with the splined /
threaded ones.
I think wires would look rather splendid on some of the sportier models.
Maybe something for Eric?
Tip: Get painted wires - the chromed wires look pretty tacky too, and they
always rust....

Geoff Kingston 26-10-10 11:23 PM

403 Barn Find!

I was curious about these wheels, I had a few of the TD/TE Alvis in the past and they had the winged fasteners not the type shown in the photo which I have to confess I had forgotten where an alternative design.
Bristol as far as I am aware never offered wire wheels as an option which means either this was a special order or someone has changed the hubs at a later date.
That is of interest because it may mean that disc brake conversions may be possible that do not rely on parts from a 406 being available.The downside could be that these splined hubs come from something equally rare.

Eric Brumenil 27-10-10 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbond (Post 3658)
Maybe something for Eric?

I was thinking about Borrani wheel for my first Arnolt Bristol but I found it not so nice because of the the wheel spinners that are too out of the way .

The car looks more sportive wih Dunlop wheels

GREG 27-10-10 11:02 PM

I was at Brian May's place last Friday. The 405 mentioned for sale was just been collected by it's new owner and will now be in France.