Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401/403 rear light improvements.

Old 29-01-17, 02:28 PM

Default 401/403 rear light improvements.

I am getting to the stage now where I am thinking about the lighting system on my 401 project, at the front I will probably stick with the hybrid BPF/Halogen bulbs for the headlights though LED lamps are tempting, the rear lamps however are causing more concern because some owners feel they are inadequate in modern traffic, are LED bulbs a worthwhile modification or is something more drastic called for.
I don't really want to fit additional lamps in the bumpers as that would mean cutting into the new stainless steel bumper trims and I have not yet found any acceptable alternative rear light units, I remember reading somewhere about an LED light board being made up to fit inside the existing lamp units but do not remember if this was an innovative owners solution for their own car or a commercially available modification.
I want to fit flashing indicators as well and while the outer lamps at the front can serve that function the rear will require a bit more thought.
I have seen a 401 or 403 with rather nice looking replacement teardrop lamps fitted at the rear but have been unable to find a source for those.
Any ideas and thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.
Geoff.
Old 29-01-17, 07:30 PM

Hi Geoff,

new lights on the back of my 401 have been haunting me since I had my first 401 in 1968. LED lights are directional and unfortunately the 401/403 lights are at an angle and today are about as much use as a candle in the rear window!

As a temporary measure I fitted a 3rd side/break light in the rear window, which is great and safe but it does restrict the view a little but is much better, and there are a number of options available on EBAY. I have bought many of them as I like to see them in situ and I now have a better alternative if I ever get the time to fit it

I have spent several years investigarting all the alternatives and wrote an article on the subject, which I have not yet published. I also wrote a much longer article on rear indicators and took a number of photos of other People’s “solutions”. This article is also unpublished at present and I have researched a lot on the subject of lights and indicators that are much more suitable for modern standards, without butchering the car.

I had some horrible indicators fitted that left a hole by the rear lights and I have covered these with Jaguar lights that are certainly not perfect but I had a hole in the body and they look much better. The lights are XJ6 export orange side repeat indicators, re-bulbed with a full 21 watt bulb and an additional small 21 watt bulb fitted under the reflector section giving a big 2 bulb flash.
Old 29-01-17, 07:37 PM

Hello Geoff,

I have the same problem, as you know well, with my 403. The rear lights, though extremely elegant and slippery, aerodynamic-wise, are simply too small and angled to offer a good lighting; this makes Aerodynes potentially at risk in traffic during after dusk.

I'll be trying to fit more powerful LED bulbs next week but I have the impression that anything that we will put there would be fairly useless, as it's the size (small) and position of the rear lamps that make them not visible; nearly useless in fact.

What can we do? It's very difficult to find any light that could fir an Aerodyne body without spoiling its lies and sticking out ungainly. Also a small central stop light in the rear window is quite annoying to fit and see. It's a real problem, if one wants to use one of these cars in low lights.

All the best

Stefano
Old 29-01-17, 11:34 PM

Default 401 flasher option

401 using standard rear indicator assy with clear lens. Mine has two lamp sockets with lamp areas largely separated by a metal shield - I assume that is standard.
I'm using high intensity amber indicator LEDs in the forward socket and standard red LED Brake/sides in the rearward socket.
To further emphasise the rear turn signal have made the following circuit. which operates each side of the rear lights independently without affecting any other light on the car:
If the brake light is on the circuit cuts power to the brake light leaving rear side light on while the indicator is flashing.
If the brake lights are not on then the circuit does not operate.
As far as the front lights are concerned, I had to install new driving lights so I opted to install a new sidelights (Lucas L488). These are round with a chrome bezel and clear slightly domed lens. I have fitted them below and roughly central between the head and driving light on each side.
Just another option
John
Old 29-01-17, 11:45 PM

Default 401 flasher option - one last thing

Forgot to mention that if the hard flash of the LEDs do not suit your personal preference than an additional circuit to emulate a softer on/off can be made easily. As I do my own circuitry, I don't know if they exist ready to go but if you're handy doing small soldering jobs its quite an easy circuit to make.
John
Old 30-01-17, 09:03 AM

Hello Bobby,

may I ask you to see how did you fit the centre rear brake light in the rear window of your 401, and what light did you chose to avoid interfering with the rear rolling blind? It would a useful idea for my own installation. Thanks!

Stefano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyweaf View Post
Hi Geoff,

new lights on the back of my 401 have been haunting me since I had my first 401 in 1968. LED lights are directional and unfortunately the 401/403 lights are at an angle and today are about as much use as a candle in the rear window!

As a temporary measure I fitted a 3rd side/break light in the rear window, which is great and safe but it does restrict the view a little but is much better, and there are a number of options available on EBAY. I have bought many of them as I like to see them in situ and I now have a better alternative if I ever get the time to fit it

I have spent several years investigarting all the alternatives and wrote an article on the subject, which I have not yet published. I also wrote a much longer article on rear indicators and took a number of photos of other People’s “solutions”. This article is also unpublished at present and I have researched a lot on the subject of lights and indicators that are much more suitable for modern standards, without butchering the car.

I had some horrible indicators fitted that left a hole by the rear lights and I have covered these with Jaguar lights that are certainly not perfect but I had a hole in the body and they look much better. The lights are XJ6 export orange side repeat indicators, re-bulbed with a full 21 watt bulb and an additional small 21 watt bulb fitted under the reflector section giving a big 2 bulb flash.
Old 30-01-17, 10:30 AM

My car had Mini estate rear lamps fitted which are quite effective but spoil the lines.
My modification has been to fit Lucas motorcycle lamps in the rear number plate bay. They are the right size, throw the light backwards and provide decent light for the number plate. There is enough room for a six space number plate. Would like to say it was my idea but I saw it on another aerodyne and though 'that works well'.
I used pattern lights that cost less than £10 each. Drill three holes into aluminum and take the wires across to the main loom.

Last edited by peterg; 30-01-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 30-01-17, 11:26 AM

Default Led lights

At the rear I bought led boards for side and stop at the NEC from a company who manufactures electronic dynamo control boxes . For resr indicators I used motorcycle indicators from ebay. Both for my MG TD. I'm on holiday for a few weeks do cannot be more specific.
David
Old 02-02-17, 08:37 PM

Hi Stefano,

very sadly a previous owner removed the blind and fitted a new headlining without the hole etc. So I did not (very sadly) have a problem with the blind.

It's a shame that I never published my article as it shows all the lights I investigated, most of which I have never got around to fitting (Yet!). it includes the lovely little unobtrusive Motorcycle lights, which you can get with Orange/Red/White lens. I can create a .pdf and send it but it is NOT for publication until I re-check everything.

I will send it out privately to individual emailers strictly on the understanding that it will not be published - BOC take note but you can check it. You will get it eventually and it's written from an amateurs viewpoint as I'm not a mechanic/electrician or even close - Klutz is the word!
Old 05-02-17, 06:33 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am very grateful for your comments and advice on this matter, led bulbs do seem to be the answer and as I have been pointed in the direction of at least one supplier who does them with positive earth I don't have to change the polarity of the car. I was pleased also that they can do headlamp bulbs with BPF fittings which is great as I want to use the original style lamps, at least initially, I think on balance I will keep the rear light fittings but put the indicator bulbs in them and move the reversing lamp possibly to under the bumper.
Not sure what to do yet regarding the high level brake light but I think the blind has already gone so will probably fit one.
A company called Car Builder Solutions has some interesting light units and led strips available but most are too big and too modern for a 401 or 403 but if you wanted to change the rear lights on a 405 to look like the latest model this is the place to go, I did consider some of their heater units as well but as the heater rads were ok I am leaving everything standard for the time being.
Geoff.

Car Builder Solutions - Kit Car Parts and Accessories
Old 22-02-17, 07:17 AM

Hello,

I did put two additional rear lamps at last, making the necessary holes in the blades of the bumpers, as I really hated the idea of making holes in the aluminum panels of the body. They are reasonably bright and IMHO these Lucas round red light don't spoil too much the lines of the rear.

Bristol 403-1404 custom-made radiator blinds

(please scroll to the bottom pic to see how they look)

LED lights are very good indeed but are quite 'directional' and the Aerodynes' rear clusters are angled 45° outwards, so they might not be as effective as we would need, in my case I chose to fit brighter conventional lamps.

The next thing to do will be to add a central stop light in the rear window, but with brakes to mend and leaking fuel pump this is now a lower-priority issue....

All the best

Stefano
Old 22-02-17, 07:19 AM

This is how they look....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bristol_403_VT-3.jpg (103.1 KB, 64 views)
Old 25-08-17, 10:00 PM

An update, we got there in the end, the 401 now has external LED bulbs all round including the headlights, I decided to use some new rear lights bought through BODA which had red lenses, therefore opted to put two stop tail bulb on each side and re locate the reversing lights.
Looking for suitable light units on line I found some LED bolt lamps at Quicksilver Automotive Gil who runs the company was able to supply the lamps and wire to link to the existing reversing lamp switch, and also another kit with the same size lamps but red led's, wire and switch to fit fog lamps.
The lamps are very small but the light output is amazing, both reversing and fog lamps fit in the space adjacent to the number plate and are so neat and discreet that most people would not notice until you turn them on.
The lamps are small enough to be used as mounting bolts for the number plate hence the name.
Geoff.
Old 29-08-17, 09:22 AM

Sounds great Geoff - some photos would be nice! I still have a long way to go on my 403 restoration. However I have started thinking about lights. So far:-

I've found a pair of L516 sidelights on ebay, as fitted to the last few 403's, not mine which is earlier - mine has the sidelights in the foglamps. My thoughts are to mount the L516s on the wings but fit with yellow LEDs to work as the front flashers. Sidelights would stay in the foglamps.

On the back, Stop and Tail would stay as-is in the original housings but using LEDs instead of filament bulbs. Reversing lamp bulbs would be replaced by yellow/white switching LEDs, which would double up as reversing lights and rear flashers. Switching from yellow to white is not yet designed, but should be possible with a bit of circuitry.

I must say though that if your "bolt" LEDs are really that small, I might well follow up that alternative. What I really don't want though is anything that looks like it's been added on.