Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

406 shock absorbers

Old 05-05-23, 08:19 AM

Default 406 shock absorbers

hi every one

having just got my 406 on the road after 20 years or so

needless to say some fettling needs to happen

we had a very metallic rattle noise in the rear, eventually found the shock absorber are loose in the top mount and one has started to leek

so I am assuming new ones

can anyone recommend make / supplier

hopefully get them off today

thanks
Old 05-05-23, 10:41 AM

The best ones in my view having fitted them to my 410 (full set) and 411 (rear) in the past are the special Koni's done by Shaun Pickering of SP Suspension LTD who's contact number is 07811 198123. I took a fairly new set of Spax dampers off the 410 as the later ones have far too many adjustment points and I just could not get them set up for balance handling and comfort I wanted, The Koni's were spot on.
Geoff
Old 05-05-23, 03:31 PM

I had all four made for me by Gaz, I sent them one from the front, one from the rear, they sent me back 4 fully adjustable dampers for a very reasonable price.
Old 06-05-23, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Kingston View Post
The best ones in my view having fitted them to my 410 (full set) and 411 (rear) in the past are the special Koni's done by Shaun Pickering of SP Suspension LTD who's contact number is 07811 198123. I took a fairly new set of Spax dampers off the 410 as the later ones have far too many adjustment points and I just could not get them set up for balance handling and comfort I wanted, The Koni's were spot on.
Geoff
Hi Geoff

thanks for your help, just managed to get the old ones off, very rusty/siezed so grinder was necessary
I'll call shaun next week

Mike
Old 06-05-23, 06:26 PM

I'm a great fan of Koni shocks. I have them on both 403 and 410 which I used to drive quite hard and found they contributed to a very good and predictable ride.. They did a lot of work with the factory so were very well matched to the cars.

The other option is to have your originals reconditioned. I have seen a few restoration programmes showing this being done but don't have any experience.
Old 07-05-23, 12:03 PM

thanks

I have contacted Shaun the guy Geoff mentioned hopefully make progress next week