Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

PF770 headlights on 403

Old 22-07-22, 05:27 PM

Default PF770 headlights on 403

I've at last got the 403 back from rhe paintshop and I'm starting to fit it out. It has early style Lucas PF 770 headlights. These are the ones where the backshell fits behind the bodywork. The backshell has an inward facing flange. Can someone confirm that the rubber gasket fits between the bodywork and the bayonet ring, and NOT between the backshell and the bodywork?

Thanks

Mike
403-1402
Old 25-07-22, 09:28 AM

OK - so answers came there none! I've tried fitting the gasket both ways, and have come to the conclusion that the gasket is meant to go between the back-shell and the bodywork. The outer chrome ring seems to fit round the plate that has the "bayonet" holes in better without the gasket right up behind it. The other thought is that the bayonet plate is brass, so won't corrode if a bit of water gets in behind it, whilst the back-shell is steel, so needs the gasket to separate it from the aluminium bodywork.

So that's the way I'm leaving them.

Mike
Old 25-07-22, 03:59 PM

Mike,
I think you have got it right the gasket insulates the shell from the body. I have some very thin dust seal gaskets as well that went behind the outer rim and the headlamp, If I remember correctly I got those from Keith Ardley who makes and supplies quite a lot of parts for these lamps and if memory serves me right offers a restoration service on the lamps themselves.
Geoff.