Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Removal of aluminum skin

Old 28-09-20, 06:10 PM

Default Removal of aluminum skin

401-1224 has a little more than the typical rust issues. I noticed several photos of 401/403 on the internet with the aluminum panels removed. It would seem to make rust repair a lot easier with the panels removed. I’m wondering how difficult it is to remove them and especially how hard it is to get them back on.

Any advice would be welcome.
Old 29-09-20, 11:26 AM

If you can get hold of a copy of the September edition of a UK magazine The Automobile there is a feature on the restoration of a 403 where the body panels had been removed totally I think you would find it quite helpful , more often you see sections cut out on door bottoms and the bottom of the wings to repair out riggers etc, its really in my view a balance as it makes it easier to deal with the rust but then you need a good aluminium welder and fabricator to get it all sorted afterwards.
When we did my 401 we left the panels in place as neither of us could weld aluminium. When my car is painted several areas of the outer skin need a bit of attention so Alan who is going to do the job will cut some sections out to replace, as he is a skilled Aluminium welder and fabricator.
Old 07-10-20, 12:22 PM

My advice would be to start by sanding down suspect areas in order to see the condition of the aluminium.
You may some expose poor previous repairs and areas where the aluminium has started to corrode. The bodywork on these vehicles is all handmade and once one starts it seems to never stop in so much that one keeps finding new areas that require attention.
My advice would be to try and leave the panels on the vehicle. I say this from past experience.
Old 28-10-20, 10:54 PM

Hello,

i don't know exactly how to take off aluminum skin but this is a picture of my 406 without skin.

I bought like that and I don't know if it's best way to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bristol_half.jpg (88.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol_406_skin_small.jpg (211.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-11-20, 12:45 AM

Default removal of 401 skin

This is a really big job. Admittedly, It is the only way you can thoroughly reach all the superLeggera tubes which the skin is swaged over in 2 pieces (see the neat joins in the windscreen pillars) but once off it will require coachbuilding skills to reassemble without creasing or crumpling it, as the alloy is floppy without its frame. Try and find a stripped down one to study first is my suggestion.