Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

403 Rear shock absorbers

Old 04-01-20, 02:23 PM

Default 403 Rear shock absorbers

Just about to fit new rear shock absorbers. I've noticed that the closed length of the new ones is considerably longer than that on the Spax ones previously fitted. Before I ask Dave at Mansfield Shocks to see if he has shorter ones, can anyone tell me what the closed length should be? If you could also be specific as to how this is measured that would be a big help - I'm not sure whether its the overall length or between the two fixing points.

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-01-20, 08:39 PM

Mike ,
The original Newton 403 rear shockers measure
Closed 300mm
Open 450mm
Measured from centre of bottom eye to joint of the two top rubbers.

I have a good set of original Newton's available if required.
These have been tested on a 403 and found to be quite serviceable

Geoff D
Old 04-01-20, 08:57 PM

Thanks Geoff. The ones I have are 360 closed- as I suspected too long. I will try to get them changed with the guy who sold them to me but will bear your offer in mind for a pair of Newton and Bennetts.

I'll PM you to let you know either way.

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-01-20, 11:44 AM

Default 403 Rear Shockers

Very interested in the Part Numbers and Brand you end up with. Interested in collecting information for a purchase in Australia.

Greg Mead
Old 20-01-20, 01:09 PM

Default 403 Shock Absorbers

David Stoneley of Mansfield Shock Absorbers has come up with a pair of Monroe 7526 shock Absorbers for the back of my 403. He gracefully acknowledged that the ones he had previously supplied were for a 400 with the telescopics modification where the top shock mount is from a bracket rivetted to the inner wing. These have to be considerably longer. Looking at the current Monroe catalogue, these 7526's do no appear. However, they do have a listing of current models by fullopen/full closed dimensions and with different combinations of stub and loop fittings. So it should be possible to find something amongst their current offerings.

Thanks again to Geoff Dowdle for coming up with the correct dimensions.

BTW Mansfield Shock Absorbers will not send outside the UK.

Mike
Old 21-01-20, 01:38 AM

Mike ,
The Monroe shockers could be the correct dimensions but they might not be the correct rates for the 403 . The top fixing point in the chassis has quite a large hole which is too large for most modern shockers . You might have to make up a special stepped washer to fit then correctly .

A friend went to his friendly shocker supplier to purchase a pair for the rear of his 401 (different to 403) showing them an original. What they supplied were the correct dimension but way too soft and after a few months were replace with a set built to original specs .
These now make the car ride the way it should.

In the past few years I have fitted adjustable Koni to the front of a 405( I assume will be suitable for late 401, 403 & 404) and rear of 400 . They both work really well, are adjustable and readily available even in Australia.

Many years ago Spax had listings for Bristols but not sure if they still have .

When you roadtest the Monroe please confirm how they ride.

Geoff
Old 22-01-20, 10:09 PM

Geoff,

You may be correct about the rates - I won't know till I get the 403 on the road and that won't be for a while. I've welded one of those large thick washers that often come with shock absorbers onto each of the top fixing points. These washers have the correct hole size for the new shocks. So that problem is sorted.

Cheers

Mike
Old 23-01-20, 01:58 AM

Mike ,
Once you have fitted the rear shockers you can get an INDICATION of whether the rates are suitable , simply by pressing sharply down on the rear bumper.
If it easily moves down a few inches and quickly returns ,they are probably too soft .
If they feel quite solid they could be suitable but as you said you won't know until you road test the car.

Geoff
Old 23-01-20, 12:47 PM

You could ask Gaz Shocks with the dimensions.
Old 27-06-20, 02:23 PM

Default Looking for shock absorbers for 403

I am restoring a 403. My shock absorbers are currently a mix of Monroe and who knows what- they though be Newton and Bennets. I am thinking that I will go the Koni route but noted that in another thread Geoff Dowdle said he had some serviceable Newton and Bennetts. Id like to try those if they are still available.
Old 27-06-20, 02:24 PM

I could be interested in the Newton and Bennetts if they are still available, Geoff. Antony
Old 14-07-20, 07:50 AM

Worth speaking to Shaun Pickering at SP suspension. He worked for many years with JWE Banks who owned a 404 an was the UK Koni franchisee (with the number plate KON1).