Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

403 Starter Motor

Old 31-12-19, 11:15 PM

Default 403 Starter Motor

The starter motor burnt out tonight.

My quandry for the New Year is:

Do I get it rebuilt or do I invest in a new 'high torque' motor?

The two I have found are Power Lite RAC401 and WOSP LMS037. They have identical specs. Is there a difference between them or do they have different internals? WOSP claims Nippon Denso internals. Both cost £200 - 220 aprox. I haven't had time to investigate rebuilding the original.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-20, 02:18 PM

Peter,
The humble Morris Marina starter motor as recommended by John Lawley in the BODA magazine is a very good option, it has the advantage over the original of being pre engaged and is about £100 to £120 cheaper than the high torque options.
I have them on both my 401's and they work well.
Geoff.
Old 02-01-20, 11:04 AM

Thanks Geoff,
There seem to be at least two versions used on the Marina. One with a pinion and large spring and the other with a cowl over the pinion. Do you know which one you used?
Peter
Old 02-01-20, 12:33 PM

Peter,
Hope the link to the ebay listing works as the photographs should answer your question.
These are the starter motors I have bought from this supplier and fitted to my two 401's, I have in fact just bought another to keep in the spares store.
They are made by ISKRA Type no AZF1508 model no 11130174 they cross referenced to the Lucas number in the BODA bulletin which from memory was an LRS293.
Geoff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MA...w/303414926976

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 02-01-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 06:52 PM

Thank you Geoff.

Checking through their cross references I found this:

https://www.energyparts-shop.com/en/...olite-66925379

what do you think?
Old 03-01-20, 11:53 AM

Peter,
It looks the same and if it cross references should be fine, make sure it is 9 tooth, because the solenoid sits on top of the motor it is closer to the throttle linkage, on the first 401 I had to turn the pivot pin round the other way to stop it hitting the case, on the second it was already facing towards the front of the car but in one of the lower positions so it had to be moved and adjusted to get clearance, for the same reason check the position on the wires before tightening up, these issues arise on some of the high torque motors as well.
Sorry if the description is a bit vague but if you look at the linkage all should be clear.
The starter motors are shorter than the originals on my 401 and bolt straight on without problems.
Geoff.
Old 19-01-20, 06:49 PM

The evil job is done and the engine eventually burst into life.

Fitted straight in without any clearance issues although I will need to reroute the power cable as it is now close to the rear manifold.

PRESTOLITE 66925379, 92 Euros from Belgium and delivered within three days, which seems reasonable for a new high torque starter motor.

Hidden under the manifold and various pipes etc made locating the bolt holes the most difficult part, followed by tightening up the top nut behind the solenoid. It doesn't always catch but once it did the engine span and eventually started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030622 - Copy.JPG (108.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg P1030624 - Copy.JPG (106.7 KB, 18 views)