Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Indicator switch removal

Old 26-09-19, 03:04 PM

Default Indicator switch removal

Hi, I am trying to get my indicator "flick Knob" off but nothing gives, can anyone help? The problem is it is so close to the windscreen I cannot see how it is held in place.

Bob W
Old 26-09-19, 05:30 PM

If you have the early type of unit with the fairing on the top of the metal panel above the instruments the Trafficator lever is on the end of a rod that passes through the bulkhead to the engine compartment where the actual trafficator unit is located, the end of the rod is secured to this unit with a screw, remove this and you should be able to withdraw the rod and operating lever from inside the car leaving the fairing in place on the metal panel.
The fairing itself is retained to the panel by what the parts book describes as a spire speed clip ,there are two, one each side. These can only be removed once the panel has been removed as far as I can remember.
Geoff.
Old 26-09-19, 07:35 PM

Bob,
It always helps if you state what model of the car your are working on .
But in this case it is not that important.

I suggest you look for a small grub screw(from memory 6BA) holding the knob/lever to the shaft . A small mirror is good for that.
On my 400's I had to bend the tip of a small screwdriver at right angles to undo the grub screw.
With quite large hands and fingers it was more difficult to refit the knob to the shaft.
Geoff D
Old 04-10-19, 05:55 AM

Thanks Geoff,

Never thought about the model, it's a 401. I have screw drivers to fit and they seem to slot in but nothing turns so I have left it for a while as I may get a new set of white knobs via 3d printing.