Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

405 Rear boot seal + boot door spring unit.

Old 23-06-19, 01:19 PM

Default 405 Rear boot seal + boot door spring unit.

I have a few final things with a 405 renovation project that i am stumped on; and need some help from the community.

The boot seal is in need of rejuvenation. It is no longer fit for purpose as it has slipped from its housing. I am looking to replace it with as close to original as possible. I was wondering if anyone has the time to take a photo of an existing 405 boot seal so i can find a similar product to replace my one with. If you are able to get a shot of the profile of the part that would be fantastically helpful.

Furthermore the electrics in the front of the car are in need of some repair. The 'map' light is currently just bare wires. If anyone has any information on where the light is secured, the switch type, where the switch is mounted (plus photos) that would be fantastic. I have an old radio, which I will likely be replacing a slightly more modern one, with new speakers. Has anybody done this? Would it be possible to put newer speakers in the electrical system of this car?

Finally I have emailed someone with regards to three bumper over-riders which i also need to source- any help would be appreciated on this front.

Thanks for any help, in advance.

Kind regards,
From Oli
Old 23-06-19, 01:24 PM

Some photos for reference!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1df53.jpg (216.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1eee2.jpg (133.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1eeda.jpg (162.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 24-06-19, 08:20 PM

Default 405 boot seal

Oli
When I visited Bristol Cars a couple of years ago they had a 405 in for restoration and were fitting a new boot seal. I bought a length of the seal from them but have still to fit it.
This is a sponge profile as opposed to the current hard rubber profile which is currently fitted. Hopefully the sponge should seal better and keep the rain out!
Just need to get around to it!
I will take a photo of the profile and send it to you.
Richard
Old 24-06-19, 11:33 PM

Richard, can you please post the photo on here so that other owners can see what it looks like. Or if you prefer, send the photo to me and I will post it.
email: photos-at-bristolcars.info

Regards,
Kevin
Old 25-06-19, 08:33 AM

On the invoice from Bristol Cars the rubber had the reference RB SRS148. There are similar sections on the Baines website but not exactly the same one.
The section has a height and width of about 14mm. The backing is self-adhesive. Photo attached
Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-06-25 11.15.31.jpg (288.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-07-19, 09:19 AM

Default 405 boot seal

Hi Oli,
I work for Bristol Cars in the parts department and we have the rubber seal for the boot lid in stock. Feel free to call us on 0208 560 3300 option 2 to discuss this further.
Regards
Cameron