Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Wheel Nut Torque Setting

Old 10-02-18, 05:22 PM

Default Wheel Nut Torque Setting

Does any one know the correct torque setting for wheel nuts when using a standard factory steel wheel - 16" and standard hub - Bristol '400' Year 1949

Thanks

Last edited by Marcus; 11-02-18 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Car type missing
Old 12-02-18, 03:38 AM

Marcus ,
a torque figure I have noted(but not in a BAC document) is 70 - 100 ft/lb , but the 6 cylinder cars were supplied with a wheel brace and I doubt that you could achieve that torque with that wheel brace.

I just tighten the nuts with the original wheel brace and over 30 plus years have never had a nut loosen.

Geoff
Old 12-02-18, 09:39 AM

Noted Geoff with appreciation; the reason for the query is due a recent fitting of two new tyres on my modern 'Benz' C class and the rather old fashioned tyre fitting establishment still hand tightened wheel nuts with a torque wrench as opposed to the now widespread use of compressed air tools resulting in wheel nuts tightened to 'god knows' what torque.

The driver's hand book in my 'Benz' clearly states 110 Nms per wheel nut and yes, I know, alloy wheels etc. but following two new tyres on my '400' a couple of years ago, the removal of the front wheels to adjust the brakes, almost caused a back injury and I needed a good length of steel pipe sleeved over the ring spanner to remove the nuts - all quite unnecessary and I feel that a precision piece of machinery such as a '400' would almost certainly have had recommended torque settings for just about every fastening on the car.

I just would like to know the wheel nut settings as I also use a torque wrench for garage work though not necessarily for a road side puncture.