Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401/403 Rear window wood frame.

Old 26-09-17, 10:16 PM

Default 401/403 Rear window wood frame.

I have seen a few good ideas over the years on how to replace the rear window wood frame on a 401 or 403, sadly I only had the foresight to buy one when they were readily available from Bristol Cars and while I still have it I now find myself in a position of needing three.
Is there anyone reproducing these or is anyone holding new old stock, I am too old , lazy and impatient now to follow some of the DIY solutions, though if push comes to shove I have an idea in mind which does not involve wood.
Geoff.
Old 27-09-17, 10:10 AM

If you cannot get any, build the one you have, fill in all the joints, wax it and make a glass fibre mould. You can the make as many as you want! You can mix resin with sawdust to make it more aesthetic.
David
Old 27-09-17, 05:41 PM

David,
That is an interesting option, initially I thought of cutting out the window surround from an old roof panel and using it to build up a laminated wood frame even better if I can persuade a member of the family who is a keen woodworker to do it for me.
I remember some years back seeing someone doing essentially the same job on their boat using some old rubber belting they had got from somewhere, cut to shape and built up in two or three layers, once bonded and screwed into place it proved a very effective support and seal to the glass and inner trim.
This was what I had in mind trying as an alternative to a wood frame if push comes to shove.
Geoff.
Old 13-10-17, 11:27 PM

A local trimmer who has done quite a bit of work for me has taken the original laminated frame I had purchased from Bristol's about 40 years ago and is going to make a jig to reproduce them. As made originally they are slightly oversize but as the steel surround may differ we will see how we get on with the first ones made out of the jig Dave intends to make.
I have ordered three for my own use and if all goes well Dave will be able to take orders on demand sometime in the New Year from any 401 or 403 owner who needs one, I will post further details but please be aware that these will be an exact replica of the frame supplied by Bristol Cars so may need some trimming to fit. When we tried the original frame in one of my 401's it would have needed the removal of one layer of lamination to fit properly.
Geoff,
Old 19-11-17, 07:09 PM

The first reproduction frame has been made, being slightly smaller on the outside, one layer of lamination, it fitted nicely into the metal surround to locate it and the window, it is apparent however as stated in a previous posting on this site that the original frames also needed trimming on the inside to accommodate the aluminium trim and possibly to some extent variations in the shape of the window opening in the roof panel, one trim finisher would fit without too much additional work but the other would have needed a substantial amount of trimming to fit. We have decided to make the second one with a bigger opening for the internal trim as this should require less work when fitting and none at all with the finisher that almost went in on this one.
When Dave and I are happy with the results he will be able to offer both options.
Geoff.
Old 07-12-17, 05:52 PM

The final variation on the last frame I picked up is to leave the last internal lamination separate from the rest of the frame to be used or not as needed.
The original frames were made oversize on their inner and outer faces to accommodate variations on individual cars, on mine I have found this to be more significant on the inside face because not only are there variations in size but also shape of the alloy trim that fits inside it. One of these finishers now goes straight into the wood surround the other would still require some sanding back. I have also found there are variations in the size and to a degree shape of the actual opening in the roof panel, the wood frame can be profiled to follow the panel edge if need be.
As the ply making up the laminations on the latest frame is thicker future ones will be made with the last internal lamination separate, the price will be £110 each plus post and packing and if anyone is interested or needs one send me a private message and I will send you Dave's contact details.
Geoff.