Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Chrome plating.

Old 03-02-15, 12:14 AM

Default Chrome plating.

Just wondering if anyone has an understanding of the situation regarding Chrome Plating in the UK. I'm hearing it is to be banned on environmental/health and safety grounds. I have a 405 that requires the bumpers doing, and wonder if I should get them done quickly. Or am I completely misunderstanding the situation?
Old 03-02-15, 06:44 PM

Default Chrome plating

I assume that you are UK based. The dead hand of the EU is indeed hovering over the chrome plating industry. My information is that, eventually, the use of chromium trioxide is to be banned in industry. The replacement will be inferior. The FBHVC, the motor trade associations and others are fighting a rearguard action to try to have its use allowed in certain circumstances e.g. for the refurbishment of bearings, where substitutes will fail. The industry is hoping that exemptions will also be able to be obtained for refurbishment of original components which were chromium plated at manufacture, and also perhaps parts for ' cherished vehicles ' even if they are reproduction parts. The current deadline for the UK government to implement EU regulation No. 1907/2006 ( known as REACH – Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals !! ) with regard to chromium plating is 2017. I hope that this is of some help. Dave Dale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
Just wondering if anyone has an understanding of the situation regarding Chrome Plating in the UK. I'm hearing it is to be banned on environmental/health and safety grounds. I have a 405 that requires the bumpers doing, and wonder if I should get them done quickly. Or am I completely misunderstanding the situation?
Old 03-02-15, 10:29 PM

Thanks Dave. Indeed yes, I'm based on the Wirral. Seems I have a little time to hand. Thanks for the information. Jim.