Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Car squatting

Old 18-01-15, 02:37 PM

Default Car squatting

My 403 is stored under cover but outside and is becoming a magnet for mice who are able to get into the cabin.

I am laying bait but is there any thing that will actually stop them coming into the car?
Old 18-01-15, 03:57 PM

Default car squatting

In Germany, there are larger pests than mice called 'marder' I don't know how they spell it but its pronounced 'ma' as in Marmite and 'der' as in murder. Anyway these things climb into cars in garages and eat the wiring looms and rubber hoses. Well, being German, they have come up with an electrical device which gives these little monsters more than a bit of a shock, I think it is usually fatal. Please see :

ADAC Tipps - Marderabwehr

Marderabwehr - Was hilft gegen Marder?

Marderschutz - jetzt günstig bestellen! | A.T.U Auto-Teile-Unger

Maybe similar technology would protect against mice, rats, squirrels, small boys, etc.
Old 19-01-15, 04:59 PM

A cat is an obvious choice, then there are the ultrasonic plug in units not sure how good those are, had a look on the web recently and natural methods include peppermint oil on cotton wool, they say they cant stand the smell, used cat litter, yes seriously they say they can't stand the smell of the cat urine but the best one has got to be snake poo, apparently they don't like the smell of that either! suggested source local pet shop.
I would lift the back seat base and remove front seats if you can as the little buggers attack the seat foam and webbing and may attempt to make nests there. They only need a very small gap to get into a car and I had a recent similar problem in the boot of a stored 411, the nesting material was removed along with everything else and the whole area disinfected to remove their smell. The car was in the workshop so the boot was left open as they prefer dark spaces so far they have not been back ,if they have young you are just going to have to trap them until you wipe them all out, good luck.