Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Restore 403 or sacrifice for parts?

Old 28-06-15, 09:57 AM

Default Call me mad?

For better or worse I now have the 403 that started this thread off in my workshop. It came to me via a wanted advert on this forum last year.

I've only had it for a little over a week, but the limited chance I've had to inspect and prod its nether regions has given me hope. It looks awful, but essentially the major malady is in the sills both sides. The near side sill having been "repaired" at some point in the past. Chassis itself is rock solid, and the body work requires very little new metal. Front seats are shot, but the rears are in fine form, and will colour up nicely. Some of Gliptones conditioner I had lying around has softened the leather very nicely.

Chrome needs doing all around, and whilst the glass is all good, the rear side window actuators are beyond salvage I think, and the windscreen rubber is shot.

So to answer the original question, restore or sacrifice? Well definitely not sacrifice, I'm not going to break it for sure, it's too good for that. Restore? Well yes, but with the caveat regarding the engine and gearbox. It will be restored to a motive car, but unless 6 numbers come up on the lottery that I don't play, then it will be with some other power train. Threads elsewhere have explored this issue, and in truth I'm undecided what to do. I have the ex Harry Wareham 405 that was featured in the Duckhams oil advert, with a Rover V8 engine and 5 speed LT77 gearbox from an SD1 that I've had fitted. But I'd rather stick to a straight six engine of some sort for the 403, an engine with similar architecture to the original Bristol Engine. The V8 installation in the 405 was a little invasive of the chassis, and I'd rather avoid that on the 403.

I know there will be folks out there horrified at what I'm doing. All I'd ask those folks to remember is that I wasn't the one responsible for robbing the cars of their original engines and gearboxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My-pair-of-403s.jpg (325.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Bristol-403-TPL777.jpg (390.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TPL777-off-side-sill.jpg (361.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TPL777-near-side-sill.jpg (266.0 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Calibrator; 30-06-15 at 12:42 AM. Reason: photos added
Old 28-06-15, 06:09 PM

Hi
This AC Greyhound has a Triumph 6cyl in it, I'm not sure if it is a 2000 or 2500 the weight of the Triumph is not far short of that of the Bristol, the 2000 had a claimed output of 90bhp compared with the Bristol's 100bhp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high legh cars 13 reduced.jpg (289.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 28-06-15, 09:22 PM

That's a beautiful looking Greyhound. Mine isn't so lovely, but I'd like to hope it could be. I've heard of several Bristol sixes with the Triumph 2500 installed. Anybody have a direct knowledge of how the car drives?
Old 29-06-15, 07:00 AM

How about a small BMW "six" & box? Lots around, & with the right provenance!only difficulty might be the Engine management etc, but there are people who understand all that stuff!
David
Old 29-06-15, 08:13 PM

It's a good call. Because I had thought about an engine and gearbox out of a mid 1990's BMW 325/525 or 328/528. But then I'd heard those engines were much longer and needed chassis cutting that I'd like to avoid if possible.
Old 30-06-15, 01:06 AM

I don't know if you have come across this thread where Clyde Lennon discussed what he was putting in his 406 (a Volvo engine).

I know Clyde spent a great deal of time researching the most appropriate modern engine and transmission to replace the original Bristol powertrain.

He took many things into consideration, including how much the car needed to be modified, engine weight, performance characteristics, acquisition cost, reliability and maintenance costs.

Weight is an important factor, because if the replacement engine weight varies dramatically from the original then you have to start modifying with the front suspension.

I can't remember how far the guys at Alpine Eagle got with Clyde's 406 project, but they may be able to tell you how much the car needed to be modified to accomodate the Volvo powertrain. I have some photos of the car somewhere, I will see if I can find them.
Old 30-06-15, 05:24 PM

Cheers Kevin. In my own researches I did come across Clyde's postings. They were very interesting, any photographs you have would be great to see.

It's so sad Clyde never saw his project brought to fruition.
Old 26-07-15, 09:38 PM

I think it is very sad. I own one with the same registration letters and can say with confidence that it is a 1953 car sold by Anothony Crook, probably from his Hersham garage
Old 23-08-15, 12:00 AM

I think you're quite right. I came across the remnants of an Anthony Crook metallic label under the rear seat squab.

I've sourced a TR6 engine and gearbox with all ancillaries at a reasonable price. Collecting it on Wednesday. Only hope it fits!

Tags
403, restore