Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

AP Fuel pump

Old 06-05-14, 08:52 PM

Thank you Graham
In answer to your first question, yes (12 volts)! I put it in at the bottom of the fuel run and connected to the flexible pipe up to the AC pump.

An e-bay £31.89 jobbie. Does the job but I had a lot of problems with leaking threads and then the metal filter housing cracking when I tried to undo it.

The winder seems to be held by a spring loaded ball like on the control knobs, but there doesn't appear to be a way of compressing it to release.
Old 07-05-14, 07:31 AM

Yes of course 12v. been working on my vintage Swift & Citroen all week so have 6v systems on the brain!

The winder sounds like getting a flat bladed screw driver on either side (or get a small 2 leg puller) of the winder base and applying upward/outward pressure whilst someone wiggles the winder mechanism. The spring loaded ball should move itself. Some WD40 /AC90 first should help.

Graham
Old 07-05-14, 09:09 PM

I might try the AC90. I don't want to ruin my brand new leather.

Another problem I encountered was the stainless steel window clamp mirrors. The ledge of the clamp was too narrow to clamp onto the window frame. Frustration all around!
Old 22-08-21, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg View Post
The pump came with the car & I have no reason to doubt that it is not the correct one. It is stamped 4516xx.

It is the correct diaphragm kit. Checked it against the new Standard pump. The primer works immediately and the lever lifts about half an inch before operating the diaphragm which is the same for the Standard pump.
Sorry for reviving a very old thread. This could be a red herring but I also have a replacement diaphragm that does not lift very much in operation. The priming lever barely works as a result. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I am wondering if I have the wrong diaphragm part and that it is about 5mm too long. The diaphragm shaft is about 38mm long.

Does anyone know if that is right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5152b@0.25x.jpg (110.8 KB, 7 views)