Thread: 411 Series VI
View Single Post
Old 12-11-08, 12:42 AM

Default 411 Series VI

For those who may not be aware, there was a very nicely presented article in the Oct 08 Octane magazine about what “you might call a 411 Series VI”, according to Toby Silverton. The article contains some good detailed pictures and the car featured is absolutely stunning (although I may be a little biased !).

The article's author says;
“Being aware of the popularity of the 411, Toby Silverton has come up with a plan. Being Bristol Cars this is a very Bristol plan. Whilst buyers of the Blenheim and Fighter keep the order books healthy, enthusiasts still hanker after the 411 of yore.”

The article quotes Toby Silverton;
“We basically build a brand new Bristol 411 at the Bristol works, with all the sorts of upgrades you expect in a modern car but retaining the classic 411 virtues. The Series VI comes with a new car warranty and will cost you £128,500.”

Personally, I think this is a very good plan! It effectively immortalises the 411.

I can’t help thinking how much Toby Silverton’s views must have changed.

In March 2000 a letter from Mr Silverton was published in the Classic & Thoroughbred cars magazine, the letter was responding to an article by Martin Buckley the previous month. Talking about Martin, he said;

“…, he says that Bristol’s style ‘has presence and poise’ then likens it (the Blenheim 3) to a [Reliant engineered, Turkish-built] Anadol which clearly has none. Bristol buyers happily enjoy no such confusion, many saying that the Blenheim 3 eclipses their previous style favourite, the 411. As usual Bristol is fully sold for some time ahead. By contrast there is no demand for newly-built 411s as he (Buckley) proposes.”

I’m sure the irony of this has not been lost on Martin Buckley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toby Silverton letter Classic Cars May 2000.jpg (103.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Buckley Classic Cars artilce Mar 2000.jpg (404.7 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Kevin H; 17-05-11 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added images