View Single Post
Old 27-02-11, 06:05 PM

Yes! I've been thinking about this since the 410 has been at the factory. The dieselification of the Citroen SM was a success - decades ago. I think you always need two cars for this sort of thing - one to keep original and another to play with. So this is my plan: buy a 406 and two 407s. Gut one of the 407s and drop diesel power into it. Colour them all metallic silver/grey with red interiors. Line them all up at the front of the garage and - da-da! - three almost identical-looking cars, with unique uses and driving experiences.

The question is: which diesel engine? The PSA-sourced unit in the XF is great. The 4.2 V8 Audi isn't half bad. BMW engineers some great diesels, too, and perhaps they'd turn a blind eye - for old times' sake - if a few of the guys from Patchway parachuted in and stole the plans? Alternatively, we wait until the engineers in Crewe have finished developing the V8 diesel Bentley engine and again, parachute the guys in (headed by Syd) to photograph the plans with their miniature spy cameras. V8 might be too much, though, so we might have to chop two cylinders off ...much like the Maserati 6-cylinder in the SM came into being...

I'm not an LPG fan either. You lose a lot of the boot ("There is more than adequate room for four 6 ft people and some of their luggage, if they're not going away for long and haven't had time to pack") and the channel tunnel is out. The economy figures don't match and the stuff's not available everywhere.

It should be a Series 6 option. I'd love to know more about the Irish project.