Thread: Tubeless tyres
View Single Post
Old 02-02-11, 01:01 AM

I've seen riveted wheels work with tubeless, put a couple on an old Rover a year ago and have been fine, may have been down to luck or perhaps a good sign of the wheels sound condition, but the danger of sudden deflation years hence by inner tube chaffing inside a tubeless is greater than that of a slow leak via rivets. I think we need the 'big' valves as used on Rover P5 / VW Beetle. I believe the only real issue with taxi tyres is the speed rating, I've run taxi tyres, on an ancient taxi, it had a petrol engine so could hold 80 on the big roads, and I used to throw it around in a manner I'm now ashamed of without any problem, shouldn't think there would be an issue on a Bristol, half the weight / refined suspension. Insurance companies may get a bit la-de-da so could be worth ringing around to find one who doesn't get all funny. You'll pay a grand for a set of the 'correct' tyres, good quality cab rubbers are about a Vanessa a pop.
As I'll be putting my car into daily use will have to buy a set of tyres soon, I have 4 rims that have been converted to 15 inch so will have to see if they would be viable, the tyres would need to be big to get the rolling diameter right, so would this make the car handle a bit spacehopper, or maybe the compliance of fatter tyres would be a benefit to a car designed with crossplies in mind.