View Single Post
Old 29-10-08, 04:04 PM

Dear Bristol and exotic car lovers,

The Sierra is not the most interesting of Monteverdi's Cars.
In fact, it's just a kind of energy crisis-induced budget model based on the Dodge Aspen/Plymouth Volare of the period. If you have a closer look at it, you will notice that the central part of the body remained almost completely unchanged. Monteverdi just redesigned the front and the rear part - but in a very clever way, I must admit. It really works, the car looks elegant and does not make you think of a Dodge/Plymouth at first glance.
What really sets it apart from the model it is based on, is the Sierra's hand-made leather interior, also the dashboard is very different.

But on the whole, it does not compare to the old, much more expensive 375 models. These are really fascinating vehicles, but very few were produced, may be around 200 or 300. They rarely show up on the 2nd hand market.
The engines were Chrysler big blocks, the chassis and suspension was Monteverdi design made in Switzerland and the bodies were built in Italy - first by Frua and then by Fissore and others.

The Monterverdi company still exists, it just stopped producing cars. After Peter Monterverdi's death in 1998, it now belongs to his long-time partner Paul Berger. What the company does today, is mainly to run a museum in Basel (in the former production premises). I was there three times and it is really a worthwile visit. Have a look at it on your next trip to Switzerland.

http://www.monteverdi.ch

As for the Sierra convertible - yes, this is really beautiful. But only two examples were produced. One is in the Monteverdi museum, the other one currently belongs to a Swiss car dealer who is restoring some mechanical details at the present moment and maybe will sell it then.

And if you have the money (I don't) - one of the most exclusive Monteverdi models is currently for sale:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-...25b0bd25ed4db9

Regards,
Markus

Last edited by Markus Berzborn; 29-10-08 at 04:18 PM.