Thread: New 403 owner
View Single Post
Old 15-02-10, 12:09 AM

Well now you have an objective you don't need to worry about cost effectiveness, rationality etc. these concerns have no place, it should be more an emotional thing.
I'm keeping my 403 standard, but only because that's the state I found it in and it's the easiest option, having said that I've been faffing around with it for about 7 years and haven't made huge progress. I actually bought a second (engineless) one last year, don't know what I was thinking of, but I have gazed into the empty engine bay dreaming of what might fill the gap. I would think a 'period' engine a folly, I don't think there's much that wouldn't leave the car nose-heavy, and / or gutless. It probably has to be something 4 cylinder as I doubt there's many sixes other than the Bristol short enough to fit without butchery.
The type 9 gearbox used in Sierra / Capri is a pretty strong box, bellhousings are available to give quite a few engine choices, even some wildcard FWD lumps.
Speaking of FWD, I have an old Saab Turbo I've owned for 20 years and can't bear to part with, it crossed my mind that it has a fairly compact engine gearbox unit, I didn't get the tape measure out but I think the Bristol would have to lose a couple of feet of chassis so perhaps not, although, 170 BHP, equal length driveshafts equate to a non FWD lack of torque steer.