View Single Post
Old 15-01-10, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Howard View Post
I never said it does (negate copyright), I'm just saying what I would and would not consider doing.
You led off your response by citing "copyright." That absolutely shows that, in your mind, "copyright" was a very important. At least for a new publication.

And, then, in so many words, you stated that, under certain conditions, i.e. lack of availability due to being out-of-print, you might consider copying, which could still violate "copyright."

There is nothing bad about declining to copy, but let us be consistent in our thinking.

So far as newsstand sales are concerned, where there is no chance to buy from the newsstand, there can be no loss of newsstand sales. People are not likely to go to some large city, hundreds of miles away, to look for a copy.

Indeed, it is arguable that, by someone scanning and making the article available to persons who have no reasonable chance to buy a newsstand issue, someone might decide to subscribe, which would be a plus for the publication.

I am very grateful to my benefactor for sending me a scanned copy. I enjoyed it very much (since, on the occasions when I was with Toby Silverton, I hadn't realized that he always wore mis-matched socks; how could I have continued our friendship without knowing that?), and I can't imagine, that, under the circumstances, the publisher would be annoyed by my having received it.