View Single Post
Old 19-11-09, 01:51 PM

Default 401 rear window - a lesson

For the past 2 years I have been plagued with the problem of water entering the boot of my 403. I dismissed the rear window seal as the culprit as everyone agreed that it looked in good order, added to which the rear window blind which is furled directly under the window, never seemed to be damp. I purchased, at a considerable cost, a series of rubber seals, edge trims, weatherstrips and other gadgets every few months. They failed one after the other to cure the leak. I poked my nose into the boot of every aerodyne that came my way and of which the owner was prepared to listen to my tale of woe. Frustratingly, although some had edge strips and similar in place, most had no seals of any sort in the boot edge or boot lid. Nobody else had a boot leak. Mike Davies even showed me the carpet ( !!!! ) in his boot – never once got damp. That depressed me further.

On Nov 8th. Bellerophon wrote, >>These wooden frames only fail when the seal gives way and lets in the water, this can be detected by water finding its way into the boot>> This inspired me to route out the old seal around the rear window and renew it. I waited five days for rain and none came ( yes – it's true ) so today I hosed the rear window and boot for five minutes. Not a drop of water in the boot ! The acid test will be when I drive in a downpour but I'm hopeful. Thank you Alan.
So there must be a lesson here for all aerodyne owners. If you suffer a leak into the boot – change the rear window seal before doing anything else. It could save a lot of heartache.
Dave Dale.