View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 10:35 AM

Default 401 webasto

Hello Geof,
We met briefly in Wales a couple of years ago, we were driving our "new" doner car to restore UML but "Henry" has proved to good to scrap!

I was with my wife Sarah, Mike Gibsons daughter, who, I believe purchased the car from you. Do you remember when you sold the car?

We have begun to strip down the car (whats left of it after the robbery) and have found that the structural tubes of the roof were cut using s blunt hacksaw, squashed flat, bent over and thew screwed to the webasto frame!
There does not appear to be a metalic sub structure to hold all it together. This is not al bad news since the webasto frame was very rigid and clearly strong enough for the job (although it is now a home for wood worm).

Other odities are:
1. the complete absence of the rear sun screen. In many other bristols this feature has disapeared but some relic of it persists. In this case there is nothing and add to the theory that it was a factory "original".
2. The replacement of the central light with two side lights of a different design with what appears to be original wiring.

We are going to restore it (Sarahīs farther would have wanted that) but we are also keen to salvage a part of the Bristol history and put back on the road such a rare version of the 401, if in fact it was a factory fit.

Is Anthony Crook or anybody at the factory in a position to supply more information about the webasto cars?

Sorry about all the questios but I can see that the forum devides into two, those who know and those who need to!
We are sadly of the second group, but with time, we may be of use to the Bristol comunity some day!

Anthony