Thread: Touring Holiday
View Single Post
Old 18-01-23, 04:42 PM

Brian

This is extremely out of date but I see a handwritten note in my file relating to Geoffrey Herdman’s tour of Morocco (which was way back in 2005) that suggests I might have secured cover which included Morocco via AON insurance brokers on 01384 455011 for £260. I have no recollection now what period was covered but there’s a note on mileage alongside it that suggests that it might have covered total mileage from leaving UK to return.

By the way, as you probably do know, Ceuta is still in Spain, not Morocco, the border is the other side of Ceuta. We went in April, which was pretty hot, I’d advise against going any later. The roads were generally excellent with very little traffic outside the cities, but the roads through any small towns or villages are not maintained at all which conveniently keeps the speed of the traffic down. Moroccan women have right of way at all times and know it, they don’t even deign to look. Petrol station attendants are likely to know that yours is not only Bristol but a 410 as well. The locals are generally friendly and reasonably honest, but honest doesn’t prevent everybody perpetually trying to sell you something, anything, at vastly inflated prices, however you can always take refuge in the nearest tea shop - once on private property you’re safe. Guides can be very useful but will inevitably call in at a mates shop. You know you’ve won at haggling if the guide doesn’t follow you and you go back to find the shopkeeper refusing to give the guide his "commission". (There are exceptions to haggling, if you can find an “Artisanale" the price is the price and very cheap and you don’t need to haggle and, by the way, the town of Essaouira on the Atlantic coast also appears to operate on the same principle). Traffic lights were mounted way up in the sky and you have no hope of seeing them change if you were less than No 6 in the queue, so when everybody behind starts hooting remember they are only trying to be helpful. Oh, and they still had priorite a droit, which is a nonsense when you come to a roundabout. Think about it: if you’re on the roundabout you had to stop for the joining traffic. So roundabouts required a policeman on every road into the roundabout and one in the middle to tell the others what to do to sort things out. Perhaps they’ve sorted that out now, but it did employ a lot of people.

I’ll try to post you a fuller write up I did under separate cover

Roger