View Single Post
Old 04-11-22, 01:38 PM

Well there was no way that tensioner was going to come out without removing the intake manifold, which is a time consuming job, but I got it off today. I was disappointed to find that the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is very firm, which suggests that may not be the problem, although I have replaced it anyway.

After further consulting the workshop manual (which I remembered I had bought years ago on a CD/DVD), the intake manifold also has to come off to change the timing chain cassette, so I may as well do that now while I have the manifold off.

There are a couple of concerns.

1. The workshop manual says to discard and replace the torx head bolt that holds the timing chain sprocket to the camshaft. But JLR (jaguarlandroverclassic.com) have told me that the bolt is no longer available!

On installation the bolt is torqued to 45 Nm (33 lb.ft), then a further 70 degrees, so presumably they assume the bolt will have stretched, which is why it should be replaced. But what do I do given that it is not available? The only thing I could think of is using a strong threadlock glue on installation.

2. The other issue is that the workshop manual procedure calls for a special Crankshaft rotating tool 303-674 ; JLR have said they do not sell service tools.

Ideas/suggestions welcome!