View Single Post
Old 26-07-22, 04:50 AM

Here's something else from Clyde dated 19 May 2008 - actually these were emails to the old BEEF mail list that I used to run.

--- begin email ---
I have got an engineering issue with my 406 project and the front / rear hub pattern differences. I have a fully rebuilt Dana Spicer Powerlok 3.06:1 rear axle from a 411 S2 and had also acquired a set of matching front hubs to see if these could be fitted (with modification) to the front axles of the 406, so allowing me to use the same later 411 15" wheels and stud pattern. Unfortunately the front hubs will simply not work and it transpires from my mechanical man at Alpine Eagle that the geometry and brake set up would be impossible even if we could custom machine the 411 front hubs. He reckons the standard 406 front hub is superior and stronger using thicker wall surrounding the bearings. Since I cannot use the 411 front hubs I was considering what could be done and we (AE and I) have come down the the following three options, with the first not being an option:

1. Keep the 406 front hubs and 411 rear hubs thus needing two different 15x6.5 Minilite wheels (slightly different wheel stud patterns - even though both are 5 stud)

2. Remove front hub stud bolts and drill a 411 5 stud pattern set of holes to install new studs to match the rear

3. OR do the same to the 411 rear, but match to the 406 front pattern

My inclination is to go for (2) as long as it doesn't present safety or engineering issues. It would retain essentially a standard 406 front end. I have purchased Coopercraft 4-pot front callipers and these simply bolt on with supplied pads.

What do the erudite engineers reckon? I have explored the web and found an interesting forum for "Practical Machinists" where a thread discusses this subject - changing stud patterns - makes for a smile or two. Seems it isn't impossible, but must be done properly to ensure concentricity and run out are within factory tolerance.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=157579

Also, if I am replacing the master cylinder of the 406 with a new "modern" equivalent, has anyone got a suggestion for a replacement that uses remote power booster. Both items please.

In the meantime, the 406 has had extensive new metal replace rusted rubbish from front inner wing trays to rear wheel arches. Slowly but carefully all alloy panels will be sorted where corroded. What is reassuring is the thickness of the alloy on the 406. I was surprised. If BCL had used one grade less the weight would have dropped considerably.

Clyde

--- end ---

Last edited by Kevin H; 26-07-22 at 08:22 AM.