View Single Post
Old 16-07-22, 06:24 AM

jeff02740

It’s very interesting that the camber angle on each side of the car is slightly different.

When I removed the bushes from the wishbones of my 410, they all had to be cut and drilled out using a core drill at a slow speed before being pushed out with force. The new bushes were pressed in using the appropriate lubricant, with what I also considered to be a lot of force.

Whilst the front suspension of the 408 to 411 is very similar, it’s not exactly the same. There are some subtle modifications as the models progressed.

It’s my opinion that slightly elongating the 4No. holes in the chassis or the fulcrum bracket which accept fixing bolts for the fulcrum brackets to the chassis, will not seriously effect the camber angle as the outer part of the upper wishbone fixings in the chassis are set and not adjustable (and must not be elongated). Elongating the holes in the brackets should only be considered if the wishbone fulcrum bracket holes don’t line up with those in the chassis; If the wishbone bracket fixing holes and the holes in the chassis aren’t in line, the upper wishbone bushes will be slightly in twist. I hope I have described that properly and it makes sense.

I also wish to note the holes as shown in the diagram in Kevin’s posting are elongated in a direction along the length of the bracket; holes in that position will only slightly effect the caster angle. The hole would need to be elongated at 90 degs to that shown, to affect the camber.

Presumably, the part numbers will be stamped in the castings on your wishbones, have you checked they are for your model?

Again in Kevin’s posting whereby he refers “resources front wishbone” the diagram therein is somewhat different from my 410. The lower wishbone where it connects with the lower suspension joint on the hub is a completely different design. It may also have had the bushing modified at the same time. If your lower wishbones have been replaced with those from a different model, this may effect the camber.

Other areas to check, if you haven’t already done so, are the wheel bearings and the stub axle. Have you checked the ride height on each side of the car, also the coil springs and dampers?

One last point and please don’t take any offence but the car is over 50 years old and may have suffered some corrosion or even been involved in a bump in its life, which will have been repaired but left the chassis with a slight twist, this may result in the differing camber angles.

As I noted earlier, this is only my opinion.

Regards

Brian