View Single Post
Old 09-07-22, 01:52 AM

Default 409 and later front suspension and steering

I am about to overhaul the steering box and worn parts in the front suspension and steer links of my 603 and think design is common to the later models so looking from advice etc from anyone who has undertaken this work in these models. I have 2 areas of concern:
1. front lower swivel joint. Was advised by Flying Spares and SLJ that a special tool is needed and SLJ sent a photo of theirs which is a 2inch AF socket machined down to a minimum wall thickness. It seem very large for any part of this bearing, any ideas?
2. Lower wishbone front inner bushes. The shaft that takes these bushes also supports a vertical flat plate supporting 2 tubes which support the front structure including the radiator. To replace the bushes this front structure has to be dismantled unless:
a) the shaft is a stud that can be unscrewed from the main chassis, or
b) the shaft passes straight through the chassis and supports the aft inner bush and can be drawn out to the rear of the car and so release both bushes.
The photo shows the front bush securing nut from the front showing the front vertical plate mentioned above. Can anyone advise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6508.jpg (335.6 KB, 42 views)