View Single Post
Old 25-05-22, 10:16 PM

Goodness me! Congratulations Thomas591

I’ll admit I had spent quite a lot of time thinking about the possibilities, but I never came up with anything useful. Somewhere I have all the switching logic worked out and I’ll be looking it out on the next rainy day in order to satisfy my intellectual curiosity as to how this works (not that I’m doubting that it does).

I was aware that the wipe - park switching relied on a clever wiper motor reversal and a degree of slop in the motor to achieve the park position, also that Rolls Royce got Lucas to produce a RR version that somehow avoids the annoying smear in the centre of the screen when the wipers go to the park position, but I’d have given my (rather rotten) back teeth for this one.

From memory the motor normally takes about 5 amps and it’s stall current is something like 15 or so amps, in either case any modern automotive switch will cope. But always avoid stalling the motor (which is very possible with modern wiper blades and a dry screen) as the motor will eventually burn out - the power to the motor is only cut off once the wipers are actually parked.

Roger